1971 Chrysler 3.6hp

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello guys, I got as a project a 1971 Chrysler 3.6hp with no spark, cleaned the points, removed and cleaned the carburator, cleaned the gas tank, changed lower unit oil,
Now what is left is the test run, I don t know what oil to use, because is an air cooled motor some on the internet say to use regular mix oil the kind used for trimmers, snowblowers etc, some say to use the TCW3.......from your guys experience what should I use?
Also the ratio is 16-1, can I get away with 20-1 or 24-1? I guess back in the day the oils weren t as "high tech" as today.
Thank you.

Nordin

Commander
These small Chryslers is air/water cooled.There is an impeller in it.
Lower part of the engine (exhaust port and uper part of the leg) is cooled by water.

Check that you have a spray of water mist at lower leg when running.

My factory spec says 16:1 oil ratio and I would suggest you to follow it and use the cheapest TCW-3 oil you can buy.
TCW-3 oil are low achses typ and will be better for the engine.

Remember that this engine has no needle/roller bearings, it has only bushings and runs hotter then a 100% water cooled engine.
Thats why it needs more oil per gallon fuel.

Last edited:

spy1309

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you Nordin I will stick with 16:1, from my understanding there were 2 types of this motors, one with an impeller and one with a pick up tube thru whitch the propeller was pushing water up the leg.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Okey, interesting I did not know that..
I am in Sweden Europé and have never seen a 3,5 or 3,6Hp with a pick up tube.
Maybe they only were for the US market.

Post a pic of your engine if it is a one with pick up tube.
Would be nice to see.