Flywheel difference ie 2 cylinder vs 4 cylinder

NoFearForce

Cadet
I am trying to figure out what the difference would be between a 2 cylinder flywheel and 4 cylinder flywheel. 2 cylinder says 2 cylinder only on it with a sticker. Casting numbers are exactly the same, magnets are exactly the same, and so is all measurements.

Attachments

• photo304259.jpg
    photo304259.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304260.jpg
    photo304260.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304261.jpg
    photo304261.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304262.jpg
    photo304262.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Really helps if you add the year and model#s of the parts?

The same year 50 and 90/120 hp use different wheels.

Probably the center of the wheel and where the trigger fires.

NoFearForce

Cadet
Sorry I did put the part numbers on the pictures but not year or model numbers. The years are 1993 Force Outboard 50 [ H050412NE [ELPT] and 1993 Force Outboard 120 [ H120412NF [ELPT]. As far as I can tell with a micrometer caliper, there isn't any size differences at all. And also the casting numbers are the same so at least the flywheel itself are the same. I know the center magnet creates an electrical induction in the trigger coil, but I don't understand how it "fires" per cyclinder without some point. All the magnet on the center shows is north or south. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
If it helps you can take one of those little magnets on a telescoping rod and hold it near the center magnetic rings and the magnet will be drawn to one polarity and repelled by the other and that will show where the magnetic changes are and those are the points where the trigger will fire as the magnetic field switches from one to the other.
If the changes are the same then the flywheels might well be the same as well.
Two and four cylinder flywheels MIGHT be the same. I cannot swear one way or the other.

NoFearForce

Cadet
Awesome. I think I'm going to bolt it on and see what it does. Thanks for all the help everyone!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look for the timing marks and compare them to the other wheel.

Install it make sure the keyway is in right, and do a check for Top Dead Center
Then compare to the timing marks.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
The difference is how its balanced......

Please explain.
2 and 4 cylinders have cranks that are single plane and they should be balanced and require no added balance from the flywheel.
The flywheel should be balanced as a unit separate from the crank which is also balanced as a unit.
However, I have beenwrong before.