Temp Gauge instead of Buzzer

Howdy fellas, has anyone replaced the overheat buzzer with a gauge on the dash? Is it just a matter of replacing the sensor and wiring the gauge as per normal or do I need something else? Should I keep the buzzer and add another sensor? Can I run the gauge parallel on the same orange wire to the buzzer? Want to do that on my 70 and 100 hp Chryslers. Thanks guys!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A buzzer is only on or off. A gauge needs a varying voltage to drive the needle.

The only way is to add a temperature gauge sender, wiring and the gauge on the dash. Senders and gauges are available as a kit.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would keep both if possible. You can't watch the gauge all the time but you can hear the buzzer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need to run wire and a sensor for a gauge.
Some harnesses have a wire taped back for the tach if it doesn't have one?
You can use that wire instead of running new.

Gauge VS Alarm
Most people are too busy driving while underway to monitor a gauge.
I know if I did?? I'd be chumming real quick??

What I did when my buzzer stopped working(couldn't hear it anyway).
I used a motorcycle horn and have used a car horn too.
They're 12v and work well.
You can definitely hear it over the motor.

If using a car/bike horn, make sure they get wired right, if hooked up
backwards they don't work.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
my buzzer failed once years ago. cooked my head gasket. luckily a new gasket fixed it. I added a small red 12volt marker light when I put a new buzzer it in case it failed again. worked great.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
What I did when my buzzer stopped working(couldn't hear it anyway).
I used a motorcycle horn and have used a car horn too.
They're 12v and work well.
You can definitely hear it over the motor.

I would be careful doing that because horns usually use a lot more current than buzzers. I replaced a horn in my boat that immediately blew the fuse on the first use. I should have checked the current draw for the new horn. The stock horn was only 3 amps and the new horn ( a lot louder) was 10 amps. I had to install a new wire and switch.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The standard wiring in a boat is heavy enough for a horn.
There is no fuse in the horn circuits on the Forces I've worked on.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
As I recall the thermoswitch grounds the wire(only one wire to the switch) and therefore it has no fuse on the motor side of the circuit.
Whatever circuit provides the voltage and current to the signaling device should be fused for safety.
We used to use buzzers and a light on race cars on the oil pressure and oddly enough you could hear and feel the buzzer in the car under power.
A flashing light will catch your eye pretty quickly

Ended up keeping both, installed a temp gauge and a buzzer with a red light on the dash, once buzzer goes off the light (fairly bright I might say) starts blinking. Funnily enough I just have to replace my water pump and impeller ahahah :) Thank you all fellas for the help :)