Chrysler 60HP HA605 Missing

CJ79

Cadet
Hi all, I have a Chrsyler 60HP outboard (HA605 - 1976 I think) which has a miss which is getting worse and worse. When I got the boat it would miss when you turned into the wake. Gradually it happened more and more. A trip to the mechanics got the fuel filter diaphragm? replaced but that didn’t help. It ran better for about 20 minutes and then started getting worse and worse. It used to be used power now it’s pretty much all the time. I replaced the plugs and whilst the engine sounded better when idling, now when under any load/throttle it misses and stalls. It starts and idles fine. When it misses and I put it in neutral it revs quite hard. I’m despite for ideas because I can’t get any mechanics in my area to spend any time on it so I’m stuck at either research and fix myself or give up and sell the boat which I don’t want to do because it’s our first boat and we would like to get some enjoyment out of it. Please help. I have video of what it’s doing if anyone has any ideas and wants to see.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Need to check compression,
" seems " to have fuel?
also check each plug for good spark,

compression should be over 100 lbs at the very least, 150 is much better also the difference should be no more than 15 lbs between each plug,

probably wouldn't hurt to pull the carbs apart and check float levels and clean all the bits, you tube is your friend,

if it is only firing on two plugs it will run rough...need to check spark,

Do you know which ignition system it is?
Chrysler made a few...

Could even be just a dodgy spark lead but you need to find a manual for it coz not many pro's like to work on any old motors,

Costs quickly add up and old corroded bolts etc break,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Where's the video?
This a 2 cyl? 2 carbs?
Any other #s on the ID tag?

The top posts in this form have tips and procedures for some repairs.
Read them ALL and maybe something might help?

If the new diaphragm in the pump made a difference??
Then maybe the new one failed? when it started going bad again.
Easy to check.

Compression test, spark test?
Compression should be the same or close on both cyl.

Missing when turning into the wake? sounds like a loose wire or a bad contact
or a wire grounding out when the harness moves?

Twin carb: might be the carbs aren't synced.

Check for water in the fuel ?

Ethanol in the fuel can break down the rubber in the old hoses.
Delaminating the inside and clogging the pump and filter.

Nordin

Commander
This thread was doubled and I answered in the other.
Now that thread is gone !!!!!

This engine has MAG II ignition and if it is a ignition issue, then it can be trouble to troubleshoot it.

I gave some answers about it in the second thread !!!!!

Pics and a video please, then we can start try to help

CJ79

Cadet
Every time I try and upload the videk it says it’s too big. I’ll try and reduce the size and post ASAP. Thanjs for your replies so far.

CJ79

Cadet
That should read ‘video’ and ‘thanks’. Also it’s a 609HA not a HA605.

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
I'm speculating here, but what you mentioned about it missing when you turned into the wake sounds to me like a carb issue, particularly something with the float or needle valve. The things that run ignition and air don't really change with the orientation of the boat unless something is loose, but fuel can. I'd tear down those carbs, clean them, and check that the float level is to spec. I think with your motor year the needle valve is going to sit in a circular rubber seat. Make sure you don't lose it and inspect it to make sure it isn't torn.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
609HA !! that do make a difference
It's a 1976 twin cyl.
The trigger wires are very thin and can break where they connect to
the connector itself. The shrink wrap can hold the wire in place but the circuit break
when turning the motor??

Nordin

Commander
Jerry this engine suppose to have MAG II ignition from factory BUT if it has been retro fit to the Prestolite system which Chrysler offered during warrenty because of the MAG II systems was no good and failed often then it has connctor plugs instead of the later terminal style with shink wrap.

MAG II is N/A for spare parts and fairly hard to troubleshoot without knowing good components.

Maybe Franz Marine have parts, I know he have made a test rig engine block to test used ignition parts becaurse I bought his last repaired CD module from CDI Electronics before they stop to offer R/R because of no source to repair these CD modules

CJ79

Cadet
Here’s a photo of what’s under the Mag II plate. Second thing, it used to miss when turning into the wake, then it was more so when the throttle was open or under load, now it misses all the time whenever I open the throttle slightly. As part of my testing I’ve dropped it into the water a couple of times and have had to limp back to the ramp after it’s stalled two or three times.

CJ79

Cadet
Oh and there’s absolutely no issue starting it. Starts first try all the time even when it’s missing. As mentioned before, it idles fine but I did notice that at one stage when it was missing that when I put it in neutral it reved quite hard. Seems to be getting fuel ok, bulb seems hard even when missing. Oh and when I changed the plugs there was a carbon build up and it looked like it had been running rich. It’s running 50:1 at the moment.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
As Nordin says....difficult.

son had a 120 Mag 11 ( same system, just two more pots ) 12 or 13 years ago that at first would start but run rough but eventually wouldn't start at all

ended up being the trigger modules under the flywheel,
PITA trying to find someone that had old ones,
eventually found someone interstate ( New South Wales )
ran well after that...for 6 months...until a piston expired,

listen to Nordin.

Nordin

Commander
That sounds like an ignition issue.
Check for loosen wires at CD module, capacitor and the triggers. The capacitor and triggers are under the flywheel.
Check the HT wires at coil and plug.
The spring in the rubber boot at spark plug can rust and get bad connection.

CJ79

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for their input. This is our first boat (complete beginners) and today I came across a marine mechanic who was going to take it out on the water to test until he had a look at the transom. Heartbreakingly we have been well and truly ripped off by both the previous owner and the marine mechanic who told us it was a good buy. There is nothing left of the transom. The mechanic who was going to take it out to diagnose our problem said the transom is that bad he didn’t feel comfortable taking to the water in it. I plan to try Nordin’s previous suggestions as a learning exercise and then sell the boat I think. I believe a transom rebuild will blow our budget well and truly out. Very upsetting for the family. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
SUCKS!!!

There is a repair/rebuild section in this forum.
Depending on the boat?? replacing the transom might not be as bad as you think.

IF?? you can do the work and are handy with wood, you might get away with 100-150$ or less???

The video you posted wouldn't open so I couldn't see what boat you have.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
It would suck,
if the transom is that bad the stringers and floor are going to be soft too,
the cost to fix all of that properly is going to be more than the boat is worth,
those hulls were made in the 70's and 80's so have a bit of age on them,

those 4.5 mt half cabs aren't very popular these days either as they really are too small for family boating or fishing,
my son bought a similar size half cab years ago and 3 pob was about it comfort wise, with one in the small cabin,
he didn't have his long...bought a 18.6 ft whittley instead

Not the most stable boats either in ordinary conditions,

l'd think about turning it into a garden ornament or take it to the tip,

whereabouts are you?

Last edited: