Any difference between these carbs?

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the midst of repairing a 1973 Chrysler 45. Since part prices were pretty wild I picked up an abused Chrysler 55 and a Force 50 with a wrecked powerhead for next to nothing to strip as needed. I have the 45 almost ready to test and now it's time to address the carbs.

I have three nearly identical looking carbs here, all Tillotson.

WB16C (Original to the 45 and in not bad shape but theres some concerning stress cracks in the float bowl area)
WE17C (From the Force 50 and in great shape)
WB7A (From the 55 and a nasty mess)

My question is, does anyone know of any differences between these carbs? The WE17C and WB7A appear to use a two part main jet assembly that reaches all the way to the top of the venturi, while the WB16C has a simpler looking single jet that sites in the middle of the venturi.

Can I use any of these carbs on my 45 or will I be setting myself up for a fuel/air nightmare? I'd love to use the WE17C because it's in nearly perfect shape and doesn't have any odd stress cracks.

Nordin

Commander
You can use them all three if they fit the manifold intake.
Just check that the jet size is the right for your seal level.

If you do not know the right jet size for you level talk to Franz at Franz Marine and he will help you to check it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The jet should have a number stamped in it somewhere.
Compare the old with the new.

How bad are the stress cracks?
Maybe a pic?
You'll need 3 posts to be able to add pics, unless you use a photo sharing site.

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
All three fit the engine just fine. Not sure why I didn't think of checking the jet sizes, I'll do that tonight. I have some pictures of the stress cracks in the WB16C at the link below:

https://imgur.com/a/IrEDCvD

As you can see they don't seem to make it through to the venturi but still odd. I've never seen something like this before in a carb but my background is mostly old stroke motorcycles.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think those are NOT cracks at all.-----Just marks from the casting process.-----See if they buff out.

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
I decided to check the jet sizes before tonight:

WB16C (45hp): 090
WE17C (Force 50): 088
WB7A (55hp): 086

These seem close but I'm not sure what the numbers mean for size on Tillotson carbs. Higher number is larger?

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
racerone you were right, I took a fine file to the cracks and they disappeared. I'm feeling much better about using the original carb now. I've given it a thorough clean and I think it's on par with the Force carb for condition now. Now to decide if I hoard these other two for parts or sell them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the throat size is the same?
Then the jet in the carb you use should be OK!!
Good market for the used stuff. BUT!! not at this time of year.

Sell one and keep the other???

8ender

Seaman Apprentice
I think I’m going to sell the Force carb as it has a different float and needle setup. The scuzzy 55hp carb is nearly identical to the 45hp so it’s going into storage just in case