Replacing reverse gear or dog

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I suspect I have a worn reverse gear or dog. I have a 1995 90HP and it clicks and barely moves in reverse. The alignment looks right. How hard is it to replace one or both of these gears? Does anything else need to be replaced (gaskets, seals, etc...)?

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced a dog this year and on that 1995 Merc LU was very simple. Pull the prop. take out the carrier bolts, pull the carrier. Replace the dog, reverse the pull ... process, fill with oil and get back on the water . IIRC took a little over an hour. BTW, stop babying it into gear. ;-)

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool. Thanks. It didn't look that hard in a video I just watched. Yes I'll quit babying the shifter :) I'm still learning - first boat.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The dog is fairly easy.
It can be flipped and use the other side.
Changing the gears needs a factory manual.

You can machine the gear/ dog contact surface and just reuse the old.
It's best if you can get it milled by a pro.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do the springs, pin, and cam follower kit need to be purchased as well as the dog clutch?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had to replace my dog on my 50 hp due to wear because I eased it (clicking into)gear. I learned after speaking to a few mechanics that you have to pop it into gear fast. then throttle up. ya I thought easing it into gear was better. but was grinding off my mating surfaces.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had to replace my dog on my 50 hp due to wear because I eased it (clicking into)gear. I learned after speaking to a few mechanics that you have to pop it into gear fast. then throttle up. ya I thought easing it into gear was better. but was grinding off my mating surfaces.

When you shift down fast in reverse how far do you go? Halfway and then down more to accelerate?

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I shift FIRMLY into reverse hesitating just after getting into gear then adjust from there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Shifting: there should be enough space to shift firmly into gear without engaging the prop.
Shift then pushing further should engage the prop.
If not the linkage needs to be reset.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
if your linkages are hooked and set properly you should hear and even feel a thud when the dog engages. my shifter kind of feels firm after that point. then throttle up. it should be obvious when you are fully engaged. should be a thud/clunk sound. shifting slow or easing it into gear you hear several clicks or grinding sound. that's not good. a quick thud. that's good.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's a good video.
Just make sure the engaging edges of all the gears are good enough to work.