Horrible day out fishing....Problem Force 125

ErvCam

Seaman
Hello gents, today i had a terrible day out on the river salmon fishing. I got to the dock, fired up the motor and as usual for any 2 stroke I've owned it was a little finicky starting but she fired up, smokes a lot more than my last force 150 but i can only assume its due to the mixture. Boat idled for a good 5ish minutes so we pushed off and headed towards a section of the river. I roughly just putted along halfway across the channel then began to throttle in a little more when all of a sudden it started to slowly come down in rpm and died. I cranked it would fire up but like before continued to just die out and wouldn't run longer than a few seconds. I then realized that my prime bulb fuel line from the water separator had a fuel leak even though i tried to continuously pump it the motor would only run for a little and stop. Luckily a few hours later a gentleman was kind enough to tow us back to the dock, and headed straight for a store on our way home to buy a new prime bulb. When i got home i immediately swapped the prime bulb lowered the motor into a container filled it with water then primed a few times and a few cranks into it motor fires up. So i let it idle i put it into gear, i free rev it and it runs and runs and runs. Now heres the kicker, it did the same thing about a week ago before i took it out and the boat idled great and ran but had more trouble starting with the old prime bulb. I also feel that my water pump pee hole is potentially not a constant stream like other motors i have seen and the carbs are leaking 2stroke/gas mixture. I have attached a video hopefully you guys can advise on what else i need to do. I am unfortunately leaving for a business trip this week and won't have time to take it back out. Another issue that I'm not sure could be related but i definitely need to fix, when I filled the tank all the way up with fuel i had the boat drain not in and when the pump clicked all of a sudden gasoline came out of the drain..... Ive never seen this but I've also never owned a boat this old before......

Boat specs would be 1985 Bayliner Trophy 1910.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer bulb is a simple manual pump to fill the carburetors.----Once that is done the bulb does nothing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If filling the tank and overflow comes out the drain plug???
You might have a bad fill hose? bad vent hose, bad sending unit seal? bad fuel line?
I would NOT use that boat again or even start it until that problem is resolved.

The fuel from the carb: a small amount Is normal.
Especially if tilted past horizontal.

Check the fuel pump diaphragm.
Do a compression and spark test.

ErvCam

Seaman
Jerry I’m thinking it’s a bad vent hose. I’ll figure it out when I get back from town. I’ll take it back down to the gas station and watch exactly where the overflow of fur is leaking out of and report back. If I don’t get a chance to drive the boat for a while how do you recommend I store it without compromising the carbs for winter storage.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 125 has 2 carbs, they're real easy to get to the bowl and loosen the screw
on the bottom.

Sounds like the tanks full???
If it is? it's too late to add stabilizer.
But being full you really don't need it.

In the spring, unhook the fuel line at the pump and squeeze the ball making
the fuel in the hose pump out into a jar.
That way any old fuel will be pumped out.

Ethanol has a way of breaking down and turning into water??

When you got the motor did you change the impeller?

The pee tube it is possible it's got crud in it?

ErvCam

Seaman
Jerry I will run the boat a few more times this year after I’ve resolved the issues currently at hand. I have not replaced the propeller I am not sure if I can just get any force 125 impeller or if I have to get one specific to my exact motor number

ErvCam

Seaman
Sorry I meant impeller not propeller and are you talking about the plastic boxes over the carbs?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "plastic boxes" (I didn't mention them)are just covers that keep big chunks out of the carbs.
The foam on the inside of the cowl used to let loose and clog the carbs
and can engine failure if not found right away.
When I found mine hanging on the flywheel I just removed it and went without.

They changed impellers for the years after 91/92
Usually just the impeller needs to be changed.
The pump housing is made of some kind of pot metal and can
corrode pretty bad before it really is bad.

They sell impellers here on this site.

ErvCam

Seaman
I’m pretty sure my force is a mid 80s. I didn’t notice any foam on the inside cover but will check and remove if it is there. I have a temp gauge that’s not reading but when I ground the thermo sensor the gauge pegs to max so I can only assume my thermostat is stuck open? Do you know where I can order a thermostat with the gasket for the force also?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Your motor is basically a late model Chrysler,
they folded around '84 so parts for those will fit yours,
just changed the name to force with little change mechanically until later

jerry is right about the foam lining inside the cowl falling off and small pieces and debris/dust finding a way into the carbs,
if there is any left pull it off and turf it,
it's not doing it's job anyway now

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your white 125 should have an ID tag inside the bottom cowl,
under the carb on the stbd. side.

ANY of the part #s I gave work on your 125 Force.
US Marine/Bayliner bought them in the early 80's
Mercury bought them in 1992?
After 95 they were pretty much Mercury except for the powerhead.

They also sell thermostats and other parts you need on here.
E-bays a god place too.

You might not even have a thermo installed.
Lots of shade tree mechanics think they can remove them without any problems.
Any motor designed with a thermo runs better at the temp of the thermo
828319 gasket
F528068 thermo 110d
F84504 grommet

The white Forces started in 83-4 (I think)
The blue Forces 125 was made in 87/88/89 then went to a 120 until they discontinued in 99.

You should find a good parts diagram and research your motor.

Last edited:

ErvCam

Seaman
Alright gents. I flew in last night and today after work I went straight to work on the boat. I’m waiting on the impeller kit but I figured out where my fuel leak is coming from. It was from the float level gasket, replaced it and leaks gone. Did a couple of other things that needed attention but I spaced and forgot to get my motor numbers. Will update tomorrow with engine numbers and will order a thermostat kit and a fuel pump kit just so I can get that done and out of the way.

I will also test the boat out tomorrow on a lake nearby to see if the leaking tank and the leaking prime bulb were my issues.

ErvCam

Seaman
Appreciate it again Jerry, you should definitely consider changing your name to MR.Force lol. You have been a great help i can't thank you enough

ErvCam

Seaman
Ok jerry update. Just took it to the lake idled great for 15-20 min. Put it in gear started off slow gave it a little more gas and it felt like it was miss firing the throttle felt kind of stiff so i pushed it further and she opened up got on plane ran and died out abruptly. Fired up ran for a few seconds and died that was it just like last time. Tomorrow morning i will check plugs and compression, also will check with my local boat parts store to see if they have a thermostat and fuel pump diaphrams. Ill post a video of the boat running at the dock and a video after it died of me trying to re fire it up

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a tachometer?
Sometimes the tach can cause that, unhook it from the back of the gauge
and see if it makes a difference???

That also sounds like there could be water in the fuel?
Unhook the line at the fuel pump inlet, glass jar, squeeze the primer and direct the flow into the jar.

Hint: install 2 filters.
1st is a water separating fuel filter.
Install it down under the back someplace near the tank outlet.
2nd install a small particle filter between the pump and the first carb.
Fram G-2 G-3 G-12

The compression test, I'll bet your comp is probably good.
It ran fairly good when it was running.

Pull the plugs and check the #3 for excess fuel.
That can indicate a bad fuel pump diaphragm(I gave you part #s)

Also check the fuel lines, see if they're loose?
The inline connectors can leak and suck air.

Does the squeezie get firm when you pump it??

ErvCam

Seaman
I do have a tachometer. I have a water separation filter ill replace the filter and install a particle filter down stream of water filter. I plan on replacing the fuel lines today just in case. The primer bulb gets firm not solid but very firm.

ErvCam

Seaman
Well unfortunately the only marine parts store in my town is closed today. However I did pull all the fuel lines out. The water separator and I bought the dream g12 in-line filter. I believe I also figured out why my temp gauge was not reading. It looks to have been hooked up to where I believe a water psi gauge would be right above the thermostat? So I relocated it to the head where I believe it should go. I was only able to get one screw out of the thermostat housing due to my screwdriver not being sufficient but I will go back with my big screwdriver. Here’s some pics of everything, the water separator is full of fluid, does that need to be drained frequently?