1972 Chrysler 7ohp 707HE Upgradable Ignition System

Ronin3

Recruit
Hello I kind of just putting this question out into the universe.... With as far as we have come in technologies, I was wondering if anybody has come out with an all around upgrade to the Ignition system on these old Chrysler Outboards. I still have the original setup but It seems like the wiring doesn't last as long as the time prior and the design for the Capacitor housing and the way the plug wires get pinched to the points in the sandwich style cap is just a really bad design. I am getting ready, before winterizing, was going to do a all around tune-up and just tired of fighting the old stuff.... Was wondering if anybody has found a upgrade or if I am just wishing in the wind? And when I mean Upgrade I want a new cap, distributor, newer style plug wires and boots. I have seen the upgraded point replacement but was looking for some newer and more efficient/reliable..

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Have replaced a failed cd unit with a streetfire aftermarket one,
didn't replace anything else,

is a 1979 70hp with breakerless distributor though.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know there isn't an upgrade for the cap and wires.

But some have adapted the Prestolite Ignition to the older models.
Not sure the 70 parts can handle the 85hp Prestolite.

Look up post by FrankA He made that change with some drilling.

Ronin3

Recruit
Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the help and I will definitely look up FrankA.

Nordin

Commander
As far as I know there are no other distributor/caps available for the Chryslers.

You can change as mention from jerryjerry to Prestolite CDI system with some changing in the mounting base of trigger, stator and flywheel then you do not need any dist.

You can change the ignition (with distributor) from battery ignition with points to CD ignition with points or CD ignition with preeamp/sensor.

I think all aftermarket automotive igniton sytem such as MSD or other brands were you use the points or a sensor and have an electronic box without any regular condenser will fit with some modification.

Aftermarket systems that have all electronic built in in the distributor will not fit.

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the help and I will definitely look up FrankA.

I have a 70HP 707HE and installed a ignition coil in place of the OEM electronic ignition since I have a points operated distributor. Works fine.