Another Tilt trim question

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1996 Force 50 HP. The other week my tilt and trim stopped working. I tested the motor by jumping it to a battery and it worked fine. I could hear clicking from both my relays when actuating the switch on my throttle handle, But I still replaced both relays with no luck. So where should I look next? Just trace down the wires leaving the relays?

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, so I just read from a post below me that a deep cycle battery isn't good for starting? Funny because this all started when i changed the battery to a deep cycle. I bought all new batteries for piece of mind. But I can't believe a different battery would cause my problem.

Jiggz

Captain
There is a circuit breaker for the T&T make sure it is not tripped!

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did check the fuse, 20 amp, but didn't notice a circuit breaker. I'll have to look closer. I have the manual but all the pics are kinda blurry. I did a google search and i only see the 20 amp fuse in the electrical system. Am I missing something?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your not missing anything.
They didn't take in to affect that your motor is a 1996
They stopped putting breakers in when they changed to Mercury T@T

Did it start working when the battery was changed back?

The relays, the plugs they get dirty and oily.
Get a can of carb cleaner and spray the connector and wiring.
If the relays are clicking? that shows the voltage is getting to them and that part of the system is working.
Check the grounds.

If you want to use DC batteries, use them in conjunction with a regular starting battery.
Just remember the charging system on your motor isn't designed to charge DC batteries.
In time it can damage the system.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did try the original battery, but no success. I also sprayed the relay terminals with WD40. I will try carb cleaner tomorrow.

Jiggz

Captain
When you hear the relays clicking is the motor humming? I understand, unless you have a remote T&T switch, you need to have another person operate the T&T switch and you will place you hand on the motor to see if it is humming. If it is not humming, then it is not getting any power (since you tested it directly to the battery and it works).

The red wires from the each of the relays should always be hot meaning it is connected to battery voltage always (usually, through the starter solenoid). Check make sure this is so. If not trace the red wires for continuity to the battery.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all! I didn't have much time today but I did spray the relay pins with carb cleaner and also sprayed all the electrical, no change just clicking. I had a helper the other day and as the relays were clicking, there was no humming coming from the TT motor. This Monday I should be able to get over there to putz with it some more. I'm gonna chase the red wire from the relays, start there. Thanks all for your help! I appreciate it.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's been a while but i got to mess with it today for a bit. Tested the red wires coming out of the relays. I had nothing. Fired up the engine then I had power coming out of them. And the tilt up worked for a little. raised about 4 inches. before all of that i was messing with the wires testing and just moving the mess around. I couldn't get the TT to work again. Any thoughts why i don'y have power in the red exit wires from the relays? I'm thinking of buying a new wire harness

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The harness isn't the problem.
The relays could be.
The motor running shouldn't have anything to do with the T@T???

Test light.
Someone at the switch.
Blue is UP
Green is DOWN.
Test light at the B/G as they hit the switch.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have new relays. So the blue and green wires to the tt motor should be hot where they connect to the the tt wires? And why would the red exit wires from the relays only be hot when the motor was running?

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess that was a pretty stupid question about the blue and green wires being hot. Lol da

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No stupid questions here.
When the switch is activated the powers/signal is sent to the relay.
The relay then energizes the B/G wires.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Jerry! Im going out there tomorrow morning,hopefully my helper shows up. So with the key off i should have power to the relays? The relays click so i know thats good. And when activating the up or down that should activate the blue or green wires coming out of the relays the trim motor? I'll have to recheck all the wires again. The other day the tt worked for a few seconds. I was messing around with the wires, then that has to be the problem. I just need to get in there and check everything over. Thanks for everyone's help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The relays clicking doesn't mean they're good:(
If the system's working, hitting the trim up should send power to the blue wire, unless the B@G have been switched???
Hit switch and check both leads.
Check power in to the relays?

There is a fuse under the cover, make sure it's OK?

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a similar issue this year, Intermittent I changed the relays, problems solved. Even if you can hear the relays click, the high current may not pass through. when I tested with the trim motor disconnected, worked every time, changed relays BINGO fixed.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks simple man. Ill get new relays again tomorrow. And i will check if power to the blue and green wires. Thought i did that already, but ill do it again.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure you get relays rated for 40amps. A lot of relays from the auto store are only rated for 5 amps, and the contacts will burn out quickly.

Nickstoyz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so here's what i have going on. Power to both relays. But both green and blue wires have no power coming out

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Power to the relays but no power on the B@G??
Then the relays are bad.

Spray carb cleaner in the contacts of the harness and then flush quickly with WD.
That might help make contact?