Looking for tips to start 1990 Force L-Drive 120HP

ak47

Cadet
Hello fellow boaters!
I have a boat with Force L-drive, 1990, 120 HP motor with seized up lower unit that has been sitting in my back yard for about 8 years. It used to be running pretty good until the lower unit went out. After all this time I decided to get a rebuilt lower unit and get the boat running again.

The motor was not winterized when I brought it home the last time (8 years ago). I'm looking for some tips on what to do before I try to start it?

Should I take out the old spark plugs and spray oil (fogging oil or sea foam?) inside on each cylinder and rotate them by hand? What else? I want to see if the motor runs before I spend money on the lower unit. Some of you might suggest to get rid of this boat/motor, but I only have about $2000 budget for this and the lower unit is around $1600. So, any tips/advise are greatly appreciated! Or, what problems could I run into after its been sitting for that long outside (the boat was covered, but it is Minnesota and we get -20 in the winter :( ).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
While most outboards are self draining, I'm not sure the L drive was??

My opinion: Sefoam isn't any good.

You can try turning and spraying WD in the cyl.
Seafoam doesn't burn as easily as WD.
It's more like adding soap to your system.
But anything you spray in it will have to be burned.

Mix some gas and oil in a spray bottle and use that.

If it spins? do a compression and spark test.

$1600 is pretty steep.
Look around.
Maybe check with the drive remanufacturers?
Jasper is one and there are others.
They might rebuild your old?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I thought the lower on there was the same as the outboard, only the intermediate section and the bits bolted to the power head were different.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You can get a lot of info here about starting a motor that has been sleeping for a long time:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...231-awakening-a-sleeping-outboard-by-boatbuoy

If $2000 is your budget, you should start by totally assessing the condition of the hull, including the wiring and stringers; then the powerhead/engine; and the L-drive itself including the bearings; then move on to the lower unit which should be the cheapest/easiest to fix.

What does "lower unit went out" actually mean?
Gears locked up?
L-drive locked up?

As Scott said above, a gearcase from an outboard will fit, and there are plenty used ones available.

Before you spend any money, decide what your end game is.
Will this boat satisfy you needs?
Want a runabout, a fishing boat, something for watersports like tubing and skiing ???
This boat will likely only be good for just cruising around, when the thing isn't laid up from constant issues.
Regardless of what a few fanatics might say, the drives were a nightmare, and parts? well, don't even bother looking for them. The ignitions were a source of constant failure in the early 90's as well.

My opinion, part out this thing, engine, l-drive ( its worth something IF it is still good) , the interior, and the trailer. Maybe save the seats if they are in really good condition.

Take the $1000 you get from parting it out, add it to your $2000, and go buy a different boat that will suit your needs.

We have lots of them a bit cheaper, over here in Wisconsin.