1982 Chrysler 75 hp engine starting problems

rkinross

Cadet
I am having problems starting my 1982 Chrysler 75 hp engine 756H2H . The problem seems to be it will crank for 3 seconds and stop even though the key is still in the “start engine” position. If I retry the engine will crank again and stop after 3 seconds. After 10 minutes of this “trying to start” the engine will finally start. After it is warmed up it starts right away. I have had the battery checked and cleaned the connections at the starter. So far local mechanics have told me to replace the starter, replace the solenoid, and replace the clutch on the bendix. I have looked closely at the gear and the part that rises up with the gear (ratchet or clutch) . Mine seem to be locked together so that when the gear moves the ratchet moves along with it in either direction. I have seen videos that claim the gear should free spin in the counter clock wise direction. I have tried to remove the starter from the engine but can not seem to free it from the mounting bracket.

Does my bendix have a one way ratchet so the gear can free spin in the counter clockwise direction?

What is the proper procedure to remove the starter? I see 2 wires (one on bottom of starter and one on top), 2 nuts on top of the starter attached to the mounting bracket, and 2 nuts under the starter (with not much clearance to remove them). I removed the wires and 2 nuts on top of the starter and it did not budge. I am thinking the bottom nuts must still be holding it somehow but there is not enough clearance to remove them.

Does the fact it cranks each time rule out a problem with the solenoid?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Does the starter making a "whirrin" type noise when your turning the key and then you have to start again?

try rubbing the shaft LIGHTLY WITH emery paper steel wool etc and a little light oil,
you're just cleaning off old salt, grease residue not trying to reshape it so lightly is the word

don't know about the bendix rotation etc
never played with it

do you have two filister ss screws going through the starter bracket up the top, near the rectifier?

if the starter solenoid is original it may last the next 5 years or the next 5 seconds...

personally, it sounds like your starter is original and, like mine, simply wearing out...36 yrs old maybe,

they can be repaired

rkinross

Cadet
Tassie 1 Thanks for your reply. I don't hear any noise after the starter cranking stops but I am going to take the cowling off tomorrow and see if it is still spinning. I have cleaned up the bendix but could not remove the starter so the fine gear under the bendix was not completely exposed. I'm not sure what a filister ss screw is but there are two screws going through the starter bracket up the top. One of them has a ground wire attached to it. I removed the nuts attached to these screws expecting the starter to drop down for removal but it did not budge.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
G'day mate,
filister screws have a semi round head and on mine go through the top bracket at right angle to the through bolts you are referring to, no wiring etc

l'd say your's is different to my 70 if you cant see them on the side of the top bracket, looking from behind the starter at the top bracket,
there is a groove cut into the rectifier to acess the top bolt,

the noise l'm talking about is while turning the key,
ever had a weak starter on a car?
similar to that,
once you hear that you'd normally let the key go, wait a sec or two and try again,
same for a boat

sorry can't take a pic of what l mean but l'm too dumb to use iboats method of downloading pics plus l have to keep looking for a misplaced passport in 20 packing boxes.
cheers

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Oops.
didn't realize a pm would show up here.
lucky l wasn't naughty.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Battery test: did you load test it?
Deep cycle or starting battery?
Don't use a deep cycle as a starting battery.

Usually the solenoid is good if it's working.

Sounds like the starter needs a rebuild or get a new one.
It's also possible the cables are weak or has soft spots.

If the Bendix is connecting it's probably good.

Did you do a compression test?

I had the same problem on my old Bronco: bad/ weak starter.

rkinross

Cadet
jerryjerry05 Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did a battery test and it was good. It was tested with a battery tester that puts the battery under load and everything showed up in the good 'green' range. It is an Interstate deep cycle battery that is rated at 550 cca. I am considering purchasing a starter battery rated at 1000 mca as my first attempt to fix this hard starting problem. I paid a mechanic to check the boat before purchase and he did a compression test. All cylinders are within 15lbs: #1 130, #2 140, #3 140. If a new battery does not fix the problem a new starter would be the next step. I would still have the problem of not knowing how to remove the starter from the bracket.

rkinross

Cadet
jerryjerry05 Tassie 1 Thank you both for your help on this problem. It was the Interstate deep cycle 550 cca battery that was causing me grief all along. I went out and bought a 1000 mca battery today and installed it. The Chrysler 75hp engine never started so quickly since I have owned the boat (2 years ownership). I am glad I did not purchase a new starter, solenoid, clutch ...

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you have found the problem and can finally use the boat after 2 yrs living with it.

Can l ask that you not use private messages to ask something and then have the reply put up on the forum without the senders knowledge?
afterall, that is what private messages are for,

cheers

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trap for learners when your pulling the starter out watch it doesn’t fall to bits in your hand as the mount is integral to holding it all together

rkinross

Cadet
Well I thought the problem was fixed with a new battery but it is back to the 3 second crank then whirll. On to buying a new starter but I would really like information on how to remove it before a buy a new one. Any thoughts on what may be holding it after the top nuts are removed from the bracket? There does not seem to be a bottom nut/bolt - just a spot where someone bent down the lower bracket.

rkinross

Cadet
When you use an @ before a persons user id does this make it a private message?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The @ turns it into a link that goes nowhere.
If you want to send a PM
You double tap on their name.
Then their site opens and you can see a tab for a PM.

And, Your Welcome.
Glad it was a simple thing like the battery.

Lots of people use the DC for starting and they shouldn't.
The 1000 will last all days using the accessories.

My 850cca lasts a long time.
I just make sure it's charged before I go out.

rkinross

Cadet
jerryjerry05 Any ideas on how to remove the starter? I have tried to remove the top two nuts on the starter holding it to the bracket but the starter did not budge. There is no nut on the bottom but there is a place for on on the bracket. The prior owner bent down the lower bracket mount and left that nut off. I'm going to try to fix that once the starter is replaced.

rkinross

Cadet
I was able to replace the starter with one purchased from DB Electrical for $45. The starter fits perfectly and has fixed my problem with starting this Chrysler 75 hp motor. Starts on first or second try every time once the gas reaches the carb.