Sealing ring and rubber collar for force drive shaft

tinkma

Cadet
My 1985 85hp force engine alarm sounded the other day after it was running for several minutes. From what I have read, the alarm sounds when there is a over heating issue. Is this correct?

I took it home and removed the lower unit to get to the water pump and impeller. The impeller looks to be in pretty decent shape but am planning on changing out the water pump anyway. I ran into a problem when I removed the lower unit. The spacer on the drive shaft came out and I removed the rubber collar. I never saw the sealing ring. I have no idea where it is. At some point I also stupidly lost the rubber collar so now I need the sealing ring and the rubber collar. (I have the spacer) I am having a difficult time finding somewhere to buy them online. Does anyone know of a supplier? Are they universal Force sizes so I know I am getting the correct size?

One last question. The inside of the lower unit is really dirty and greasy. Is this typical?
Thanks so much.

Jiggz

Captain
Let me see if I understand your post, is this the part you are referring to?

Attachments

• photo296051.jpg
    photo296051.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 2

Jiggz

Captain
That "collar" you are referring to is actually called a "Retainer spline seal part # F438271 while the rubber boot is called, "Seal driveshaft spline" part # 438129. The rubber boot is still available but not the retainer. Personally, you probably have a better chance of finding your misplaced part than ordering it online.

tinkma

Cadet
Thank you so much. I'll look for that piece and order the other one.

On the side note, do you think the fact that the inside of the lower unit is somewhat black, dirty and oily is a problem? Could something be leaking? Or is this typical? I can post a picture later today.

tinkma

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo296105.jpg
    photo296105.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo296106.jpg
    photo296106.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 2

Jiggz

Captain
Nope that is all normal to me. My motor LU looks the same every other two years that I replace the impeller. As for the rubber boot, sometimes it gets stuck at the crankcase end and stays up there. You might want to take a look at it.

tinkma

Cadet
Hi Jiggz. The picture you posted, does that assembly consist of 3 components or two? I see the metal bottom washer (is that the retainer spline seal?) and the wide rubber seal driveshaft spline. Is there a seal above that? Or is it only the 2 pieces? Sorry to ask but the shop manual I have describes the terms differently than you are.

Jiggz

Captain
There are only two components. The collar and the rubber boot as shown in the pic.