Force 90hp Hard Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
FYI......The "Kill Switch" does not disable the starter. The "Neutral Safety" switch disables the starter. This prevents you from starting the motor while in gear. To start the motor with the throttle advanced, you pull the Throttle handle out towards the center of the boat (depends on the type of throttle you have) and then advance the throttle handle forward. The handle will only come out about a 1/4". Pulling the throttle handle out disconnects the gear engagement cable and the gear case is in the neutral position. NOTE: You will not be able to push the throttle handle all the way forward. This is for safety reasons because if you start the motor at WOT with the gear case in neutral, you can possibly over-rev the motor causing damage.

I've been using this method to start my motor regardless of whether it's hot or cold, it pretty much fires up on the first turn of the key. I think that by advancing the throttle forward, it also advances the timing which seems to help the motor fire up more easily.

Good to know. I'll give it a try. Tried the trim trick Tuesday and it started right up. I've ordered a fuel pump and this weekend I'm going to look at the primer.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I replaced my fuel pump. I pump the bulb until it'd firm, trim the motor, push the throttle 1/4 (I have a button you can push that allows you to crank) my primer does not work. I pushed the key and the button on top of it and no gas comes out. After 10 tries of cranking nothing. I spray starting fluid and it cranks right up. I guess the next step is to fix the primer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the same issue. It takes multiple cranks to start and spraying starting fluid to get it going. Once started I can cut it off and restart but if I wait a day or two I have to repeat the whole process.

That sure was a good hijack for not meaning to do it. :facepalm.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The primer: check the voltage going to the primer.
Usually if they go bad they feed excess fuel into the carb.
The diaphragm in the primer goes bad and excess fuel flows causing problems.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally got this fixed. I was not getting 12V to the primer. I pulled the ignition switch and took out some sections that looked bad going to the harness and rewired. Now I pump the bulb, push throttle to wide open, push the key, and voila cranks on the first turn.

Cammcrobb

Recruit
Can ask a question about tour sj? Mine will not go over 3000rpm, I thinking coil? Trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.