Help changing 1987 force 125 prestolite to 1996-98 mercury thunderbolt ignition

NoFearForce

Cadet
I want to change my 1987 force 125 prestolite ignition over to a mercury thunderbolt from the 96-98 years. I know I need a flywheel from a 92-95 model but stator, trigger, and cdm coils are spouse to work. I know someone talked about this but for the life of me I can't find the topic with it in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NoFearForce

Cadet
The coils are awesome but the stator isn't so great. If I could get a new "force" stator I would keep the cdi setup. Plus buying a $350 stator compared to buying all the cdm components to swap to cdm was a no brainer. Cdm parts are also cheaper.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think i completely understand your last post - but if you have the stator with the wire ends that screw into a terminal then it's only 200.00 on this site. see 2nd item. http://www.outboardignition.com/forc...&hval=39&val=8

i'd get the 5 year extended warranty for 30 bucks and you are set for a long time. I replaced my stator 6 years ago and it still l runs flawlessly.

NoFearForce

Cadet
My buddy who is a marine mechanic said to stay away from those stators and I personally haven't seen them hold up well. I know the coils work great from personal experience. My wanting to convert this system over is due to it being 30 years old and the cd packs are probably the next items to go in the system. Those are not cheap at all. I can replace a cdm coil with the capacitor built in to it for $40 new. I already swapped this system over on my engine and it is awesome. It is actually smoother and response is better also. If you like what you got then don't change it. I just think a 30 year old Ignition system with that many components is just a headache waiting to happen at the worst time. That is my personal opinion. I'm not a marine mechanic but I am a Master Diesel and Master Automotive technician.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
NoFearForce, When you get this conversion done, post pics and video's. Part number also would help! There will be others that will be interested in this conversion.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The lower cost of replacement parts plus the fact that you can use the more commonly available 12 pole tach is a big plus.

Not sure how others feel but when ever I had to trouble-shoot the Prestolite system, I would have to deal with a big ball of spaghetti wires between the coil mounting plate and the block. Not impossible to do but the CDM system is much more modular and no wiring mess to deal with.

One thing that I wanted to say about the CDM system ( any other ThunderBolt system that uses the Regulator/Rectifier), was that the bullet connectors on the Yellow battery charging wires from the stator don't seem to be that great. I've seen quite a few of these connectors that have gotten so hot that it has melted or discolored the clear plastic cover on the connectors. To prevent this from happening, I just cut the connectors off and used eyelet type connectors and a stainless steel four position terminal strip that uses screws to secure the wires. This has worked fine for me.

NOTE: Once you convert over to the CDM ignition, you can use the NGK BUHW plugs which have a larger spark gap. Supposedly that's better for ignition. I didn't notice much difference but just wanted to throw that in.