Force 150 stator wire color codes

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I could probably use more guidance on how to specifically recognize the 150 flywheel.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
For what it's worth, the old flywheel off the 150 hp is stamped "FCC3000 A" on top. The flywheel on the 125 hp donor motor is stamped "FCC3000." Maybe that helps?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
The center hub is the important area.
Make sure they look the same.

I got the "donor" flywheel off the 125 hp. Torch and a coupla strikes with a dead-blow hammer. It looks identical. Same inside diameter at the top and the bottom of the cone, keyway lands in same place relative to the timing marks. Outer diameter of the flywheel and the spacing of the teeth are the same, too. Same diameter and thread on the crankshaft nut.

I think we have a winner.

I need to clean things up little before installing.

New CDI modules are on their way from Standard Magneto. They finally had some in stock!

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I got the new (to me) stator and the flywheel from the 125 hp installed on the 150 hp powerhead today, and I got good voltage readings off of all stator wires, including the yellow charging wires.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Looks like you are making progress. The Flywheels for the early Prestolite ignition 150HP motors is the same as the early 125HP Prestolite ignition systems.

The flywheels for the later model Switch Box ThunderBolt 150HP ignition systems is different as they do not have a magnet(s) on the inner circumference. This is because they do not use a stator to generate ignition voltage. The ignition voltage is generated from the battery using a battery voltage conversion box. The stator is only used for charging the battery.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Well, good news, bad news. New CDI boxes are in, but when I installed and tested the first one, it only fired on one side. I tested the stator voltage and trigger voltages again, and found that the trigger voltage was cutting in and out intermittently. When I tested the trigger voltages before, I forgot to cycle the spark advance back and forth while testing.

Problem endured even when I replaced some of the spade plugs, just in case the connection inside that black heat shrink had gone bad.

I think I'm going to need to replace the trigger, too.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Replace the connectors.
In all my years, I've rarely seen a trigger go bad?
Not saying that it can't but double check before you buy.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Voltage cuts in and out as I move the spark advance. Remember, this powerhead had some of the magnets inside the flywheel come apart pretty badly. It wouldn't surprise me if there was debris flying around inside there. I think that's what took out the stator. Anyway, found one that looks good on eBay for $45, so.... already bought it! :)

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
So the replacement trigger ring came in. It is installed and I have good voltage. I did notice that the reading seems to be polarity specific. If I put on my DVA adapter and get no volts on the multimeter, I swap the red and black leads and get good voltage. Is that normal? Could be my DVA. Bought that off eBay, too.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
So, the problem with the old trigger wire may have been a loose strain-relief. The wires going into the epoxy are zip-tied to an L-shaped bracket that is set in the epoxy. My thinking is that zip-tied bracket serves as a strain-relief. This one had worked loose from the epoxy. You can wiggle it up and down about 1/8 inch. It may have been knocked loose by debris from the broken magnets. Just a theory.

Attachments

• photo287052.jpg
    photo287052.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
About your question on the DVA readings and polarity. Do you have your meter set to DC volts when you're measuring the voltage?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
About your question on the DVA readings and polarity. Do you have your meter set to DC volts when you're measuring the voltage?

Heh. You sound like you've worked with me before. It would be a lot like me to do that, but in this case, I've got the multimeter set for VDC. It's a digital multimeter...does that matter?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
So, I got the trigger connected to the first of the new (Standard Magneto) CDI boxes. I'm getting around 180-190 DVA out of each lead that goes to the coils. Not the 250 DVA my manual recommends, but probably good enough to fire the plugs. More tests later this week.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
A digital meter works fine.
It depends on if the stator wires are connected or disconnected to the CD Modules. Connected, you should read 180V or more. Disconnected, you should see 225v or more.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your meter might not read the DVA voltage.
But if all the readings are the same?? your probably ok.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Success! Got the three new CDI boxes wired up, and got spark on all five cylinders. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, but I'm ready to move forward and mate up this powerhead with the midsection I got off eBay.

I have two parts lower units in the back yard. One has a bad carrier bearing, the other a broken skeg. Between the two, I have a good unit!

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I also had been using this powerhead for a "test-bed" for my spare CDI boxes I robbed of my parts motors and bought used online. I was using as a test-bed, not knowing the trigger was loused up. Now that I've re-tested the CDI boxes that I thought were bad, it turns out I pretty much have a life-time supply of Force CDI boxes!