Am I in over my head

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
long story short but I acquired a 1984 bayliner with a 84 force 125 outboard, took it to the shop he got it running and an accident happened and now I have a 95 cajun fish and ski with the force 125 motor on it.
1st I need to install a lanyard kill switch ( no idea where to start )
2nd What is the orange wire coming out of the wire loom ( is it the overheating indicator)
3rd Trim - the cajun has a trim gauge on it but in the process of swapping motors I assume two wires were cut and I dont know if the force 125 even has a trim sender on it, if so where in the heck is it.

I have searched and read and I think I have reached the end of the internet.
I hope someone or many people have opinions on this.
and yes the force 125 will flat out get it on the water.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Did you use the wiring harness and controls for the force outboard from your bayliner? The orange wire is your over heat buzzer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 84 might not have a kill switch.
If it did?? then you can just hook the 2 wires(white???) together and that should complete the circuit.

Depending on the boat?? the overheat horn might be in the wiring harness.
Force use a separate horn. You can use a car/motorcycle horn.
Just make sure the wires are hooked right. Some horns won't work if hooked up backwards.

No trim senders on the Force.
I heard that someone found a sender but I haven't ever seen one.
The later model 150's and the 120 made by Mercury does have them, but no way to cross them over.

How many RPM's at wide open? What size prop?

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys thanks for replying, KBH when the mechanic wrecked the bayliner yes he took all controls and wiring from it and transferred it to the Cajun. I only saw the orange wire when I was moving the switches and so forth. I noticed it in the wiring loom, I have not traced it back to the motor as of yet. If the orange wire is there on the motor I can buy and aftermarket buzzer. Thank you KBH

JerryJerry, Ive read alot of your responses and you are awesome sir, I did notice while taking things apart and moving things on the cajun there was a litte square box on the side that said horn but i have a horn under the dash. that could be the buzzer.
kill siwtch..mmmm I know I can wire one in and with the help of some toyota master techs I bet it will work haha
trim sender...man thats the one thing i was hoping for some good info. I will continue my search and if i come across one that works i will post it here
wide open its pushing close to 5000 rpms but again Ive got a leak down problem with the tilt trim unit that will be addressed first. but again knowing the trim angel would help.
thank yall both so much for info

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
I wonder if this would work with some mods
attachment.php

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used that same kill switch on a force 85 but only needed two wires to it. Works like a champ too

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
thank you PeteJ.....what is everyones thoughts on self leveling trim tabs on a bass boat...yes or no

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Iwant2befishin - I wouldn't use a Chrysler/Force buzzer as they are not loud enough! The factory buzzer is a cheap plastic joke, use a horn from a newer car as they are flat like a motorcycles. Jerry once said that a person could also use a bright warning light on the dash, that's a awesome idea! On your engine wiring block it will have an orange wire on it if the other side orange wire isn't hooked up, do it. I would bet that it is hooked up.
Remember, one side of the horn or warning light must have a ground (black) wire hooked to it. On your trim tabs, myself I like them.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That trim sending unit would work, IF you could find a way to mount it..

Self leveling tabs??? My opinion, NO, but I really don't have enough experience with them.
The experience I did have?? I didn't get good results from them.
What size boat?
They might be great on a bass boat?
The boat I experimented with them was a fairly large 27ft and it did nothing.

Maybe contact Bennett Trim tabs and ask them about tabs on a small bass boat??

Trim leak down. Look at the first few posts in this forum. It covers the repair.
The main thing is do not touch the hyd. pump.
There is NOTHING in there that you can adjust or fix.
The leakdown is 2 tiny seals in the very bottom of the pump housing.

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
KBH and JERRYJERRY, again you guys are awesome..theres probably a good reason I am a toyota parts guy and not a boat parts guy haha...Everything I read on the trim tabs was the smaller the boat the better but again thats product sales stuff. ya the leak down has been such a pain. Thats why I joined this forum and I am glad I did. I will look up those seals right now. Is it ok that I post pics on here of my progress? I think I found it, Had to do some digging. thanks again

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Yes post your pics! Jerry Jerry he wrote the repair on the trim and tilt. I had a set of hydraulic trim tabs on a 21' Rinker cuddy cabin. If I had a lot of weight onboard and not even, I could adjust the tabs so that she would ride level.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I posted a part of the repair.
Jiggz and pnwboat made the first post for this repair.
Credit where credit is due!!

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
ya it took me a little while and i finally found it, but I printed it all and just waiting out the cold texas weather. there was some great info on there and i will be referring to it alot of the next couple of weeks...cant say it enough but thank you all

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I mounted sx smart trim tabs to my 16 ft bayliner which Im pretty sure is a deep vee style boat. It went from the biggest pile of poo to the best boat I have ever owned. Had a tri hull before that and it surely didnt need them. They do work but I would say to try your boat to see if you really need them and like they say my boat jumps out of the water right on to plane and way better low speed handling which really helped when trolling. Hope that helps :) oh the tri hull had doel fins on the motor

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
Ok guys all my parts are in that I ordered but I just dont know how and where to hook this up on my force 125. If anyone has some good directions I would appreciate it. I plan on doing all these upgrades Saturday.

Attachments

• photo285137.jpg
    photo285137.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I believe the wiring harness from the motor to the dash has a white lead to the key switch.
I believe splicing into that white lead should do the trick.

iwant2befishin

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys havent wrote in a few weeks, so all the wiring is complete and now I am laying down the new flooring, taking out the old carpet and replacing it with a " self adhesive eva faux foam teak sheet boat decking". While ripping out the old carpet I came across what looks like two fuel filter tucked up under where the wires are running down both sides. I traced them back and they go to the fuel tank maybe for ventilation???? I dont know...is this normal ? 95 cajun fish and ski travis edition

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Can you post a pic?
I've not seen a filter along the gunnels??
Maybe a 1 way valve?