Removing swivel bracket

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Force 1990 50 hp. I am removing a bad swivel bracket and installing a good one. My question is, do I pull the power head or do I turn the motor upside down and pull the motor leg using a cherry picker? My service manual is a bit confusing on this as it covers both the 50hp and the 35 hp. Some of the photo's show the power head hanging from a picker with the foot removed. Other photos show the power head on the ground (sitting on the flywheel with wooden blocks) with a cherry picker lifting off the foot. Which one is the proper way for the 50 hp? Thank you.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My guess would be to do it the way it seems easiest. But I would bet they show it that way cause you have to pull nuts and bolts from the top and bottom and with the power head on the floor it would be easier to take off lower half off than having to lift off the heavy power head. Just my thoughts but hope it helps

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I'll get to it on the weekend if the weather isn't too cold and post what I found out.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look on U-tube?

The powerhead is only about 45-50#
What I DO remember is the shock mounts for the lower cowl can be tricky, if they come loose at all??

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
So far all the bolts have come off! The 2 lower shock mounts also. I will need to remove the carb to get to a couple more bolts called "upper shock mount cover" according to my service manual. As soon as the sun goes down it gets cold here in Utah, wished my garage was heated. I have the lower foot off as I replaced the water impeller awhile back. The engine I have hooked up to my cherry picker hoist, I made a "L bracket" and removed the flywheel nut and installed it. It works sweet as the motor hangs plumb. If time allows I'll try pulling it tomorrow afternoon when I return home. I will keep you posted on how this turns out. Again thank you for the ideas and help.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jerry, Pete j, I managed to get it all part without any damage! Very time consuming! I'll try and get it all back together tomorrow. I'll post pics. Very important to grease your swivel bracket as this is why the old one was damaged.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grease everything if you ever even think of going into saltwater. I had a yamaha 50 that had the same problem you speak of and it was from salt same with steering cable on my force 85. Salt is a major motor destroyer

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Pete J, judging how this looked, I don't think that the "kingpin" was ever greased. It was also hard trying to get the swivel bracket slide off of it. It'll be a few days before I start putting it back together as both of the upper side rubber mounts were in sad shape. Venders want 108.00 each for new! No way that'll happen. I found a good used pair on EBay for under 50 shipped to my home. It sure wouldn't hurt to put a little grease in each grease fitting a few times each season, there are not that many.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Before you try greasing the fittings, use a propane torch and heat them up.
The old grease has turned solid and the tiny spring in the fitting has locked up.
The fittings on the older Forces are the pressed in type, no threads to unscrew.
If your lucky enough that no ones tried to add grease and blew them out, the heat trick will help.

I added a couple of fittings down on the bottom and top of the kingpin boss.
That way I was sure the grease was getting everywhere.

Some use Anti-seize on the screws and even on the steering cable. Don't!!
It's a good product for some things but add salt water and it becomes everseize.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Jerry. We don't have any salt water to contend with here in Utah except at the great salt lake and it is too salty to even begin about putting a boat motor on it. The salt content is so high that a person floats like a cork in it. On top of the swivel bracket is a hard fiber round washer that slides over the kingpin. The one on it had a crack in it and the swivel bracket tube filled up with what looks like a very fine silt. That washer they want 30.00 for it! Thinking about making my own as that is highway robbery. What do you think? Great idea on adding more fittings. Thanks again for the advice.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you can make it why spend the $$
Grainger sells parts that can cross over and maybe you can use?
Get the specs and contact them.

Silt: even the clearest of lakes and streams has silt.
Take a cup of lake water and let it set in the sun and dry.
You'll see the deposits/silt.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Update - Installed the swivel bracket and re-installed the engine. Next is to install the lower foot when weather permits. Also replaced the impeller while the foot was removed. The task of removing everything isn't all that bad but it's time consuming. Will post pics when its all done.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Time consuming: just think how much $$$ you saved by doing it yourself!!
That and the satisfaction you get from knowing I DID IT MYSELF!!!