1988 Force 50HP cavitating symptoms.....Operator induced....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is embarrassing but thought that someone might need the info, one day.... :)

Ok, this friend of mine got this boat with a Force 50HP on it. Initially, we had some issues with one cylinder not firing properly. Turned out to be a misconnected wire from the trigger to pack.
We changed the impeller, fuel pump. new fuel lines, Carb all cleaned up, new plugs, replace lower unit oil.

Off to the lake we go to test and motor runs really well, idle good, reverse good, forward gear good and as motor revs the boat goes to plane nicely , all in all it was running very well.

Then suddenly, the motor revs up like crazy and boat decelerates.... In gear at idle works fine but as soon as you add power at some point the motor keeps raving but boat doesn't go any faster.

Looked like a spun prop hub. Prop looks good and no visible dents. We changed the prop (brand new) and same thing!!!!

We spent, hours checking, the crank shaft splines and gear shaft splines, everything looked good and it was becoming more and more like a case of something going on in the gear box....

About to give up when we realized that the exhaust snout was missing!!!!! Probably not attached properly after we replaced the impeller... On the 50HP the exhaust come out straight on top of the prop if there isn't any snout redirecting the gas.
That exhaust gas forced the prop to cavitate... Replace the exhaust snout and all good now.

Just wanted to share this experience, it is embarrassing indeed .

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yup that little piece of aluminum can cause a lot of trouble.
Glad it was an easy fix.

Flash49

Recruit
Hello everyone...I'm new to this forum and I have a '97 Sweetwater pontoon with a 75 HP Force. I'm having the same problem as fmt2bx was having. I don't see the exhaust snout that was his problem. Would mine be different ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Yes yours is different. Since it's a 1997 it has the Mercury lower unit. Sounds like either the motor is sitting up too high, or the propeller Hub is spun.

Status
Not open for further replies.