Carburettor oil overflow Pocket?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hello
Im tidying up a Force 1996 120hp and the top carbs front air cover has a little bottom pocket which has oil in it. The bottom carbs one doesnt.
Is this pocket to capture heavy dirt particles in the oil or is this oil a symptom of something more serious such as reed failure?
If it is to capture dirt particles before they enter the engine i suppose i will need to put some oil in the bottom pocket but this would really seem like an antiquated set up to me.
I havent had it running yet due to bad starter motor.
Thanks in advance
Tried to upload a photo but seems to be over max pix size allowed

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm. I’m not totally sure or familiar with this engine, but i would be more concerned with the bottom carb not having a bit of excess oil. Have you checked the oil lines and fittings to the carbs without signs of oil ?

the opposite chain of thought might be that oil is not getting inducted fully to the top carb ?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Thanks QB for your reply with its different angle on things.
Its a premix motor this one and ive checked the recirc lines and fuel lines to both carbs and they appear fine.
The top two plugs a slightly oily and so is the bottom but not the third plug so i cant glean an answer from that.
I suppose next test may be to do a drop test on all cylinders.
Not sure yet when i will be able to get back to this motor for more investigations.
More thoughts on what may be going on would be appreciated at any time,
Cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No idea why they made the cover like that.
The motor when tilted up, the carb/float can leak some fuel and it's caught in the cover.

Reeds: does the motor miss? does it have fuel coming out the front?
One test, remove the carbs and the plugs, Turn the motor over and hold a piece of paper over the intake.
It should stay tight against the intake. Don't use the key unless you ground the plug wires.
Look into the reeds and see if there are any broken or missing.
They make a tiny bore scope for the smartphone.$20

Recirculation system" this sends unburned fuel back to the pump. If the top is clogged it can send fuel out the front and possibly collect in the cover??

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My thought is you have discovered a pocket of overflow fuel from being tilted, and the bulk of the gas has evaporated leaving the oil. I have owned a 1997 since 1998, and pretty much ignore any residue on the carb covers since tilt overflow is so regular. Be aware of Jerryjerry's symptoms for potential problems. These motors can be rough on reeds. My motor ate a reed in its 1st year. A couple of years ago I noticed sneeze, and after checking the reeds have since replaced my reed boxes/reeds with the older heavier Chrysler reeds. Nearly every reed box had damaged reeds of various stages, most often corners missing. Some, qa couple, had larger portions missing. Sneeze sounds like a small backfire through the carbs and is often associated with a miss and/or hard starting.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
These a the sort of replies i was after so thanks for all of them.
Ive being back and had a good look over her now that ive had this extra info.
I tilted the engine up and there was a rush of fuel out from the top carb so im not sure why it has pooled in this carb only, or why only this fuel bowl leaks when tilted. I removed the carb and had a look at the reeds. I could only see the outer half and also not as closely as id like. (That borescope for $20 would of being handy). So i will have to wait til i get sent the new starter and run her at low speeds to see if the idle is ok. I couldnt even do the paper test as the starter is just too much of an invalid now.
The recirc lines and one way valve were all ok.
It was good to look over the motor again and everything on it seems to make sense to me with my rebuilding of mercs and other motors over the years.

While i wait for this starter so i can then do some more tests and update this thread, id appreciate it if someone could mention how you disconnect the shift shaft so the LU can be dropped for changing the impeller. It didnt seem possible up in the lower cowl and at the bottom just before it disappears into LU Anti-cavitation plate it was splined.
Does it just slides off and you need to make sure you keep it in neutral or something? Or is there some connection somewhere i havent noticed?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Heres the curious carburter cover with the pocket down the bottom

Attachments

• photo283867.png
    photo283867.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The lower unit just drops down.
They say leave it in F for easier install.
I've found that if you leave it in F and DON'T turn the driveshaft "FOR ANY!!!!!!! REASON" it will go back together easy.

But being a piece of machinery, not all things go the way planned???
Looking at the drive from the rear, and pulling up on the right blade of the prop, this keeps it in F and allows the splines to mesh.

Then sometimes the drive gets bumped and drops out of F.

Then I just put it in N and try to reinstall it that way.

Sometimes after 10-12 times of getting it just right!!! it goes back in :)

Look on U-tube and check out the videos of people installing Mercury drives.