Chrysler outboard Distrubitor question!

bob880

Seaman
Good evening,

Question about my points distributor. there is a black little box on the side of the distributor and I was wondering what it does and how it it wired up. its like a switch has a little white button that rides up and down on a arched piece of metal.

Attachments

• photo283779.png
    photo283779.png
    380 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
Bob that is the safety neutral switch and it`s purpose is to make it impossible to start engine in gear.
On later engines it is mounted at the shift lever where it gives a better/true indication if the engine is in gear.

It is wired in line with the starter solenoid, yellow wire from terminal board to the switch then a wire from other side switch to small terminal at starter solenoid.

Last edited:

bob880

Seaman
Awesome! Thank you!

Next question, i have a new cap with spark plug wires How do I know what wire goes to what Plug? Right now it back fired so that tells me they are firing in the wrong order. I am reading through my manual and I don't see anything to help me out. Is there a diagram or an easy way to figure this out?

Nordin

Commander
Is it a 3 or 4cyl. engine?
Firing order 3cyl. is 1, 2, 3, 4cyl. 1, 3, 2, 4.
You count the cyl. from top.
Set the top cyl in TDC check what HT wire the rotor is pointing at and that is #1.

The rotor is rotating CW, then you can figur out how to hock up the HT wires.