Force Outboard parts availability/cost

robnfl35

Recruit
Looking to repower my boat and one option is a 85Hp Force motor with Trim/Tilt another is a Johnson 85 Hp motor. Though I do like the idea that the Force would weigh less. I have heard Force parts are hard to come by and its difficult to find someone to work on them. Is this just rumor or have you found this isn't the case?

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"I have heard Force parts are hard to come by and its difficult to find someone to work on them." Maybe, depending on where you are located. If you live in a coastal area, I woujld think you could fine many sources to work on them. You might find it easier if you volunteer to chase the parts when needed.

These are super simple engines, and it might be better to do the minor stuff yourself. Learn how to clean the carbs, change the impeller, change the LU oil, and and to winterize (if you live in an ares where it is needed) an most of the frequently needed maintenance is done at cost. Besides you become knowledgeable and more confident in your own ability. Refer here to other more complex issues, get a OEM manual, and enjoy boating.

BTW, this advice goes for either motor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look for the absolute newest motor from Evinrude/Johnson or Mercury you can afford.

you didnt specify which year force. could be a Chrysler based force or a Mercury based Force. either way, i would not buy one because the companies went out of business a long time ago, and yes, parts support is sporadic.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Force is a great and easy to work on outboard. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Before buying any outboard, do a compression test along with spark testing. Basic parts are easy to find.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF?? you can't work on it yourself???
Then get the Johnson.
Force mechanics, there doesn't seem t be many places that will work on them.
I don't understand this as they are really simple to fix.

The 85 Force was touted as being the best weight to HP ratio of all the outboards when it was produced.