Chrysler 130

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One potential problem and it looks like one of them is already gone is the round plugs that come or go to coil packs. They caused me great grief on my 85 hp and from what Ive read its caused many a great griefs, Mite be a good time to change the one that I can see

alldodge

Staff member
One potential problem and it looks like one of them is already gone is the round plugs that come or go to coil packs. They caused me great grief on my 85 hp and from what Ive read its caused many a great griefs, Mite be a good time to change the one that I can see

I don't understand, can you clarify?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think the round plugs is the plug in for the packs to the stator and trigger??
They loose contact and cause problems.
Soldering or wire connectors.

They used the plug/play for 3-4 years and went to the screw down connectors, way better connections.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my motor apart many times trying to figure out what was wrong. Did the carbs a bunch of times thought I had checked every connector and still I would have a problem out on the water. Got real lucky and took the cover off at sea and just twisted one of them plugs and realized that was my problem. Never had a problem after that but I would bet the other owner went through the agony I did till he changed the plug thats missing from your motor. If this sounds like a rant it is cause those plugs might be the worst ever made

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That' exactly the reason they changed the plug and play setup of the old wiring.
It was real easy to just twist.

alldodge

Staff member
It got up to 50 degrees today so I did some more looking around the motor. Under the bottom carb down low on the casting is 78150

Is the a casting number or a 1978 150 HP

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's probably a part #
The casting # will be in a circle and the center of the circle has the year in it.

Stbd. side, somewhere near the top might be another foundry mark.

alldodge

Staff member
Finally getting around to work again on the motor. Never did find the casting number or year but looked up the head part number 631995 and it comes on 125HP and 1987 to 1988 motors

Need to remove the motor so I can work on the seized pivot and tilt pins.
Need to find a manual on how to remove it. I see the bolts and its starting to look like a whole lot of things need to come off just to get it out.

alldodge

Staff member
Got the motor out in another thread
fetch

alldodge

Staff member
Started taking the from apart, its taking a lot of heat to get it to budge.

One side
slide3.jpg

Then the other
slide4.jpg

Got the hydraulic trim off after mire heat but didn't take a pic

Removed the clamps (or what ever their called) from the bottom which holds the center turning shaft. The bottom bolts snapped off, and the upper ones came out. The difference is the lower ones screw into a plate and all bolts where seized. The upper ones had nuts

Will take more pics next time

alldodge

Staff member
Thought mine was a 130 but using the head part number it comes back as a 125. I'm still new to this motor but all props are based on number of splines and diameter for the most part. Mine should be 15 spline, haven't counted yet

Do see the 130 just doesn't show up, use the 125 and do some comparison and prior to purchase call and ask the vendor. One of maybe the best sources is see if there is a local prop repair shop

alldodge

Staff member
Managed to get all parts separated. Took a lot of heat and a 20 ton press. Even with the heat still snapped some bolts, so drill and tap later

slide5.jpg
slide6.jpg

Going to take apart the 105 to use some parts from it.

slide7.jpg
Either will need to raise the transom, use a jack plate or figure how to modify and make leg a bit shorter. The 125 legs is to long as-is

alldodge

Staff member
Drilling out stainless screws in cast aluminum has been rough. Some worked, some didn't and some still working on

alldodge

Staff member
Took the 105 apart today, and so much easier. The pivot and tilt was free and moved easy. All but 2 bolts came out easy, and every those 2 didn't take much longer

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Mud daubers had a hotel going on

Slide4.JPG

Pile of parts

Slide5.JPG

alldodge

Staff member
Doubt it, but wonder if the input shaft of the 105 could be used on the 125?

If it would work, then I could swap the newer style prop on the older 105. Thinking about it more that just isn't going to work. Could put the 125 motor on the 105 leg, but then I'm stuck with trying to find the older prop

alldodge

Staff member
Its 30 x 48 x 16 high and still run out of room.
I did see Winnercouger74 thread (thanks) yesterday but won't know which prop I need till I get everything back together

I need a manual, but having a hard time figuring out just which one I need

The Force power

Commander
I noticed that the LU has a one full Drive-shaft, I would of thought they were a two sections :facepalm: