Fuel leak on Force 90 hp 1991

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They won't allow the competitions name to be posted on here.
Yu need to spell it different or be creative.

BarryK3

Seaman Apprentice
OK, the mystery has been solved.

I changed the screens in the recirc. system. The original ones were a bit dirty but not too bad. The hose from the recirc. cover back to the intake manifold was very hardened and had no hose clamps, so I think it was leaking a bit. I installed a new hose with clamps.

The hose from the bottom of the intake cover (before the carbs) running back to the intake manifold was missing entirely, so fuel in this area was leaking into the bottom of the cowling, and there was an air leak into the engine.

Finally, the worst problem: fuel leaking directly from the carb bowls into the cowling area when the engine is fully tilted and turned to the left. Since I did not have a power tilt, I had to fully tilt and lock the engine in the up position for launch and retrieval. I generally turned the engine to the left for no particular reason. I did not realize that fuel was pouring out of the carbs through the bowl vents in this position. If the engine is turned to the right, the carbs don't leak. The vents are on the port side of the carbs.

I now have my power tilt and trim installed and working. I make sure that the engine is turned fully to the right if I tilt it significantly.

So, almost no more green oily residue inside the cowling and in the back of the boat!!

I also bought an original factory manual on eBay; not expensive and worth every penny. I can't stress enough how important this is. The Seloc manual is terrible.

I learned something interesting from the manual. The specs for compression are:
Cyl #1: 135-155 psi
Cyl #2&3: 145-160 psi.

So, I guess my motor is OK even though cylinder 1 compression is a bit lower than 2 and 3. It is running really well at idle and full throttle now!

Take care and thanks again,
Barry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's AMAZING what the right manual can do.
Seloc is good for the very minor things.
Makes great TP in a pinch.