Chrysler 135 shift issue.

bob880

Seaman
Good morning all,

I am having issues shifting on my outboard. I can shift into forward but not reverse it feels like it is bound up. by the way this is happening while not running and running. So if I disconnect the shift cable i can easily move the selector on the motor from neutral to forward and then from neutral to reverse. So, do i not have it adjust correctly? Also, this is a brand new control cable.

If i need to adjust the shfting linkage can any one guide me on how to properly do this?

Thank you in advance

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is there a chance you have the shift and throttle cables swapped?

bob880

Seaman
I don't think I do but I can try swapping them and see what happens

tommarvin

Ensign
We sold our force awhile ago but, theres a shift shaft, not sure all the way up is reverse or forward all the way down is forward or vise versa, neutral is exactly in the middle, this is where you need to connect the shifter cable with remote handle is in neutral.
shift linkage is confusing, we couldn't figure it out for awhile.
You will see where neutral is with the neutral safety switch in the middle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Again Tom, wrong info. Stop helping.

​You need to make sure the shift cable is mounted in the shifter correctly. Then leave it in N
​Unhook the connector on the motor.
Then find N in the drive.
​Tom was right about N being in the center, the only thing he got right.
​Once the cable and shift rod is set, you adjust the connector to fit over the ball.
​Then if the neutral safety switch isn't aligning?? you undo the 2 screws and move the switch.

​In real tough cases?? the top of the shift rod(under the bottom carb) needs to be adjusted.