1984 Force/Chrysler 85 Running Rich it seems

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
1984 Force/Chrysler 85 Running Rich it seems. Really dumps out a lot of smoke at idle almost choking me LOL. Is that normal? I got this running pretty good just seems to run really rich and loading up at slower speeds. Pulled the carb bowls and they look spotless and both floats and needle valves work perfect. What should be the idle screw setting? That is the only thing I didn't mess with yet. Got the ignition timing set per Frank's video.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what ratio of fuel/oil are you running?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
50:1 is your mix for this. Have you adjusted the carbs needle valves? Turn the needle in tell it bottoms out lightly. Back it out to 1 1/2 turns(starting point) adjust from there. At idle in gear you should be running 750 to 800 RPM's

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 85 is supposed to be set at 1 turn out and left there.
BUT!! some don't run good at that setting.

Try setting at 1 turn out and see how it performs??

​Then adjust if it isn't running good.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys!! Yes I am mixing 50:1. Ok I?ll check those fuel screw adjustments today and run it in the river tonight and report back! :)

foodfisher

Captain
This is a quote from Franz @ franzmarine.com about puddle drains on Chrysler, and I assume force as well outboards..

Puddle Drains

There is one maintenance issue that is overlooked by most Chrysler owner's because they are not aware of it: At idle, a motor does not burn all the fuel that goes into the cylinders and it "puddles" in the cylinder. This fuel has to get out of the cylinder or it will load up the engine and make it run rough and eventually make it not run at all. On the older motors this fuel was just dumped down the motor leg but it was more environmentally friendly (not to mention efficient) to recycle it so that this excess fuel went back into the motor. This system known as the puddle drain system has to have a one-way valve in it so as to pull the fuel from the cylinder at the proper time. This excess fuel that has been in the combustion chamber picks up contaminants such as small chunks of carbon. These contaminants have to be filtered out some way so that the one-way valves do not clog up so there are screens in front of the valves. All these contaminates build up over time and can clog the screens blocking the puddle drain system and leaving the excess fuel in the cylinders causing the motor to load up.

There is no set maintenance interval for cleaning these screens as many factors contribute to the formation of carbon which causes them to clog. Some of the factors include:
Using inferior oil in the gas
Using a prop with too much pitch so that the engine is lugging
Improper timing
Extended trolling time
Running without a thermostat or thermostat opening too soon.

The puddle drain covers are located on the starboard side of the block and usually extend over 2 cylinders (3 on a 3 cylinder). They are not hard to remove (except some 35-55 HP which have slotted screws in the lower part of the cover) but you will have to remove some other things to get to them. Suffice it to say, if you own a Chrysler outboard and the bolts have never been removed from the puddle drains, DO IT! If you are having trouble with your engine loading up, DO IT! Sometimes the screens can be cleaned but they may be coated with carbon making that difficult. You will need gaskets when you do this so just get new screens at the same time. They are about 65 cents and pop out with a knife or pick and the new ones are pressed in with your thumb. The whole job can be done for less than $10. on any motor and can make the difference between night and day. Now the disclaimer: It's possible you won't find anything in the screens but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that is not the problem. (LOL)
Also the hoses and connections will get backed up.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
This is a quote from Franz @ franzmarine.com about puddle drains on Chrysler, and I assume force as well outboards..

Puddle Drains

There is one maintenance issue that is overlooked by most Chrysler owner's because they are not aware of it: At idle, a motor does not burn all the fuel that goes into the cylinders and it "puddles" in the cylinder. This fuel has to get out of the cylinder or it will load up the engine and make it run rough and eventually make it not run at all. On the older motors this fuel was just dumped down the motor leg but it was more environmentally friendly (not to mention efficient) to recycle it so that this excess fuel went back into the motor. This system known as the puddle drain system has to have a one-way valve in it so as to pull the fuel from the cylinder at the proper time. This excess fuel that has been in the combustion chamber picks up contaminants such as small chunks of carbon. These contaminants have to be filtered out some way so that the one-way valves do not clog up so there are screens in front of the valves. All these contaminates build up over time and can clog the screens blocking the puddle drain system and leaving the excess fuel in the cylinders causing the motor to load up.

There is no set maintenance interval for cleaning these screens as many factors contribute to the formation of carbon which causes them to clog. Some of the factors include:
Using inferior oil in the gas
Using a prop with too much pitch so that the engine is lugging
Improper timing
Extended trolling time
Running without a thermostat or thermostat opening too soon.

The puddle drain covers are located on the starboard side of the block and usually extend over 2 cylinders (3 on a 3 cylinder). They are not hard to remove (except some 35-55 HP which have slotted screws in the lower part of the cover) but you will have to remove some other things to get to them. Suffice it to say, if you own a Chrysler outboard and the bolts have never been removed from the puddle drains, DO IT! If you are having trouble with your engine loading up, DO IT! Sometimes the screens can be cleaned but they may be coated with carbon making that difficult. You will need gaskets when you do this so just get new screens at the same time. They are about 65 cents and pop out with a knife or pick and the new ones are pressed in with your thumb. The whole job can be done for less than $10. on any motor and can make the difference between night and day. Now the disclaimer: It's possible you won't find anything in the screens but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that is not the problem. (LOL)
Also the hoses and connections will get backed up.

Wow good info!!! I just checked the idle screws and they were 1 3/4 turns out. I set them to 1 and will test out on the water and adjust tonight!

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Also should I leave the ignition timing at 32* or set it at 36*? There is a factory looking stamped timing mark on the flywheel that says 36*.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Distributor engine 32 degrees @ WOT (not running). No Distributor 30 degrees running. Have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The drains have a screen in them.
​VERRRRRY fragile. I use power tune in a jar and let the screens soak in place(don't remove) then a soft brush to clean.
​The screens are hard to find?? as most are sold or NLA
If you need I might have them?
​Pay my cost and shipping I'll send them to you(hope I don't get in trouble for solicitation??)
​Send me a PM with an e-mail and address.

07Tahoe

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys timing will not be touched then. I will check the screens next chance, looks like a cold snap heading in might shut me down for a while. Especial if the water at the ramp turns hard. Had this out last night with the new idle adjustments running pretty good, probably the best it will get for now. I am happy with it though. Will need to get a whale tale for it though. Little too heavy in the ass end launching onto plane.

foodfisher

Captain
I think you'll find the need for a "whale tail" will disappear after the engine is running efficiently.