Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
See more
See less

Advice on idea for 115 Chrysler

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on idea for 115 Chrysler

I have a 79 115 Chrysler, its a great motor plenty torque and power, it has the one piece gear box with the OMC type prop , mine is stainless, Ive floated this idea on other sites with mixed replys, I heard years ago a conversion existed to do away with the power pack on the these, my engine has a points system, the conversion involves fitting a car coil n condensor, no big deal its an easy conversion, I was told that the spark on this conversion can fade off above 4,500 RPM as car coils are not high enough in voltage and the power packs job is to amplify the spark, the cobversion calls for auto spark plugs too, my questions for the brains trust here
    If one uses a resisted high performance 40,000 volt car coil will this damage the standard Chrysler points?
    Any benifits to using platinum or split type plugs?
    Will the engine run using auto type 8mm carbon fibre plug leads?
    Will the Chrysler handle high octain fuels like 95 or 97?
    How can one increase the lubrication on a two stroke
    Worth pursuing or just keep on relying on the trusty 6 HP auxilliary if it fails.
    16 foot Nautiglass Cuddy cabin Chrysler 70hp
    17 foot Carribean Run About Mercury (white) 80HP 1962.
    16 foot Haines Hunter V16R Chrysler 135HP
    !6 foot Baron Centre Console Chrysler 45HP
    15 foot Stebercraft Run About Johnson 85HP V4
    14 foot Pride Run About Johnson 40HP Sea Horse
    Couple tinnys.

That change over was posted here a while ago.
    Try the search function.

Even if you change over, The use of premium fuel isn't necessary or good for the motor.
    ​Something about the flash point of premium fuels and pre-detonation and burning up pistons????Google it.

Don't go out without a backup(6hp) or a towing service.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI