Fair Price.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Mod, if this is posted in the wrong group please delete. I'm looking at a Chrysler short shaft electric start 9.9 kicker. It's a later one and looks to be in great shape judging by the photos. What's a fair price to pay for this? Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Electric start!! That doubles the value.
Not many of those were made.
Year??
Compression??
​$3-500.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
oh crap, i didn't catch the electric start...

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here is a photo of it. I'll be looking at it today. Older gent, he's asking 400.

Attachments

• photo276336.jpg
    photo276336.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0

Jiggz

Captain
Personally, I'll stay in the range of no more than $300. And the main reason for that is not only because of its age but because of the lack of parts being obsolete.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Jiggz, I didn't get to see your reply before I went and picked it up but I did get it for $300. The electric start only works sometimes, (bad starter?) It does start right up with the rope. The priming bulb empties out and she will die. If you keep the bulb up it'll run all day. Fuel pump diaphragm?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
It's a 1981. Model number 98H1B. She purrs like a kitten.

Jiggz

Captain
Yup, most likely a fuel pump diaphragm problem. But then if the fuel pump is not working properly, then the priming bulb should not be emptying. In short, the most likely cause is there is leak between the suction side of the fuel pump and the suction line from the tank. Or it could just be as easy as clogged or closed vent from the fuel tank or faulty check valve from the bulb itself.

If priming bulb collapses, it's most likely a clogged or closed vent in the fuel tank or faulty check valve in the priming bulb.

As for the starter, it would not be surprising to see that starter has not been opened and cleaned in at least 2 decades!

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jiggz I changed to 3 different hoses with bulbs and it still did the same thing. I could see through the gas cap opening on the tank that it might be sucking air where the pick up tube goes through the tank. This tank is an old plastic one that is kind of beat up looking, the tube in it is clear plastic? The tank itself says "Honda" on it. As long as you give the bulb a few squeezes every so often it'll run all day. The higher the throttle, the more squeezes required to keep it running. I may need to buy one of those modern plastic ones. JerryJerry05, I think that the starter motor is bad. If you turn the starter motor gear with a screw driver To a different spot it will work sometimes when you push the start button. Is it possible that the starter has a dead spot? All the connections on the starter are clean. I found replacements on Ebay but have not ordered yet. I also noticed that the starter sounds weak. I changed the lower gear lube and looks good. (they used regular vent and drain screw on these!) Wish that they would have used them on my 85HP. Pulled the spark plugs and compression on both are good 115lbs and equal.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
Squeezing the primer bulb means the fuel pump is faulty. From your initial post, you mentioned the primer bulb as collapsing which means the fuel pump is working. But now you're mentioning it requires squeezing the primer bulb to keep it running, which means the fuel pump is faulty. I say, open and inspect the fuel pump.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Jiggz, I will inspect the fuel pump. At the same time I will also look into replacing the starter motor as this requires removing a lot of stuff on top off the engine to get to either one. Thank you for your reply.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe just the vent in the tank, Might want to check that to

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Update - Starter is good. I pulled it and ran it off of a battery. It ended up that it is the neutral interlock switch. There is no way to adjust it and the cam is pushing it in. it you put a small screw driver between the cam lobe and switch it makes contact. I'll need to locate one for it. pete j, Thank you for your reply. The tank vent is open. Thinking of just replacing the fuel pump diaphragm and gaskets, they are reasonable in price and when was the last time it was replaced? I have a new tank for it at some vacation property, I just need to go and get it with time allowing. Thank you all for your help, I will keep updating as I finish this project up.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I worked on the 9.9 today. The tank is fine. I ran it off of a gas can. The fuel pump is shot, time to order. Got in touch with Franz and he has the interlock switch for these! Thanks everyone.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Replaced the fuel pump, replaced the neutral interlock switch. She runs as good as new. Thanks jerryjerry05, I bought the parts from Franz. Thanks everyone for the reply's.