1988-89 force 50hp cooling problem

cdog580

Recruit
ok so i recently bought a boat with a 1988 or 89 force 50hp motor. first time we took it out it died after a solid 20 min of running no problem and got towed in. second time had it going for a while and then later in the day had a hard time getting it into gear because it would die. took off lower unit and the impeller was in pieces so i replaced it. now engine seems to be getting wayyyyy too hot and it doesn't seem to be spitting as much water as it use to. so i just bought all new seals for the top of the water tube. could not having those seals not allow enough water to go through? i opened where the thermostat use to be (previous owner removed it so water would pump all the time and there was no water that i could see going through. i'm seeing if anyone has had this problem? i'm putting new seals on this afternoon and will keep this post updated but any suggestions or what to look for would be appreciated. if anyone has a diagram of the cooling path that would be awesome!

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
Double check the impeller. It could be that you missed to install the key or maybe dropped it. While the LU is off, you can check the tube and the rest of the cooling system by connecting it to the garden hose and you should see water run through the exhaust.

Since it overheated, the other logical check to do is do a compression test on all cylinders.

cdog580

Recruit
Double check the impeller. It could be that you missed to install the key or maybe dropped it. While the LU is off, you can check the tube and the rest of the cooling system by connecting it to the garden hose and you should see water run through the exhaust.

Since it overheated, the other logical check to do is do a compression test on all cylinders.
Ok i'll try that thank you!

My bet would be that if your original impeller was in pieces, some of the pieces traveled up the copper water tube and lodged in the bottom of the powerhead. I have seen this situation more times than I car to see. Normally it requires powerhead removal.

cdog580

Recruit
You sure the impeller is the right one?
Yea it's the right impeller. The feed tube was loose and came out when I pulled off the lower unit. I realized I have to take the whole power head off and install the tube from the top down and hopefully that along with the new seal will fix the problem. Just turned into a way bigger project than I wanted but oh well

cdog580

Recruit
My bet would be that if your original impeller was in pieces, some of the pieces traveled up the copper water tube and lodged in the bottom of the powerhead. I have seen this situation more times than I car to see. Normally it requires powerhead removal.

Yea. I got all new parts that were supposed to be at the top of the copper tube and there were 2 washers that didn't fit in the hole the tube goes in which makes me suspect that I have to take off the power head and install the tube from the top with a retainer to keep it in place

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That tube just pushes up inside the head.
​If you have good water pressure on your hose, you can remove the thermo housing and try back flushing the system??

I have a bore scope that I use to see up inside the housing.

​They make an attachment that fits smart phones that can do the same job.

cdog580

Recruit
That tube just pushes up inside the head.
​If you have good water pressure on your hose, you can remove the thermo housing and try back flushing the system??

I have a bore scope that I use to see up inside the housing.

​They make an attachment that fits smart phones that can do the same job.
thank you for the suggestion!