Prop but torque 1989 85hp force

Nelson C

Cadet
Hey guys was wondering if anyone knew the torque to apply on the propeller nut. I've tried 55 ft lbs but I think it's too tight because it won't reverse. I can't seem to find the specification anywhere.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
What won't reverse? The prop nut or the engine?

The prop nut should be a nylock self locking nut and a little past snug should be tight enough. If the lower unit uses the Mercury style nut with tabbed locking washer, the nut should be snugged down to the next tab past snug and the locking tab bent over into the slot on the bronze hub

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I don't know what the correct torque value is, but I do know that the flywheel nut is approximately the same size....or at least I think it is. The flywheel nut on your motor is 90 Ft LBS.

When you say "it won't reverse" are you saying the motor won't go into reverse, or the nut won't come off?

If the motor won't go into reverse, then you have a different problem. The nut has nothing to do with the ability to go from reverse to neutral or forward unless maybe possibly you forgot to install the washer on the prop shaft before you slid the propeller on the shaft.

If the nut won't come off, then get a bigger wrench. 55 FT LBS should be easy to get off.

Nelson C

Cadet
Sorry for my bad wording but what I meant is that the propeller wouldn't spin in reverse however I redid the tightening to 55 ft lbs and it spins fine only that it rattles a little when put into reverse after the initial gear click sound. Not sure what is causing the sound.