Installing cable on steering drum Verified

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
From tashasdaddy

thread tiller line thru small pass thru hoe inside drum. Pull line thru until equal lengths extend from the ends. Thread one end of line thru contoured hole in upper flanged end of drum, and opposite end of line thru rectangular hole in lower end of drum.

Wind each line 4 times around in opposite directions, by following the groves in the drum. Both lines should lead off the top of the drum at it's center, so that as the steering wheel is turned one line wind up and the other line unwinds. Apply common adhesive tape over the assembled line to hold in place temporarily if desired.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing cable on steering drum

It's a little more tricky if both cables run down one side of the boat. I always end up about an inch to short on one end or the other.

Wooz

Cadet

Ok... that part I have no problem.. The problem I am having is findnig a replacement drum for a 50's model fiberglass boat... manual steering with ye ole clothesline hook up... I have scoured the net and cannot find a 3/4 inch hub replacement drum... if anyone can help... please do!

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Wooz
How are you doing in your search for the steering parts ? I have a salvaged setup , I'll check the dimensions if you still in need . I'm on the MFG boat section as pduquette if you need to look me up .
Peter

gcfishguy

Cadet

I bought an old (my first) boat out of an overgrown field, so replacing the cable was one of the many jobs that I did on a learn-as-you-go basis.

I found the attached pic, and it really saved my bacon. (I'm visual)

Hopefully it helps someone else..

<><

Attachments

• Wrapping.jpg
    Wrapping.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you will need about 50 feet of coated cable, lowes sells it. find center. now thread the drum as above. hold cable to drum with duct tape. take the wire off the bottom of the drum, thead it thru pulleys, (Purple) to the port side of the transom. now take the wire of the top of the drum, thead it thur the pulleys (Green)to the starboard side. DO NOT CROSS THE CABLES, this causes binding.

set the steer wheel to center. now take the wires from each side, run thru pulley on motor bracket (Brown) and back to their sides, should be a spring (samll blue) on each side with a loop or pulley. run the cable the the loop or pulley, bring dead end out tighten the cable putting tension on the spring. and clamp the cables together. you have to have a good bit of tension, as the tension is what keeps the system together.

cablepulleydiagram001.jpg

MVC-048S.jpg

MVC-070S.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.