Volvo Penta AD41 power issue

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta AD41 power issue

Dang I agree with K-2, only 600 hours and their shot. Also +1 with Scott you should be able to find a rebuild kit for the turbo. I know of a good rebuilder in Louisville KY but none in your area.

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all,
The only reason for the quick turbo issue other than that the clocks are wrong is that I am guessing the 34ft Riviera I have was most likely planned for shafts having the engines further forward but this one has legs that suits this area perfect as we have a lot of shallow channels and tide is a pain. I have seen these boats with the smaller Ad31's and legs but with two AD41's it put a bit of weight on the stern. When I pulled off the exhaust elbow the water was basically all the way up the exhaust pipe where the exhaust rubber connects to the exhaust elbow, might have something to do with it? I have found a place on the Gold coast here in Queensland so I am pulling them both off to get a quote, will let you know what they say.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

I have dry exhaust .
Did you ever take notice of where the waterline is on your outdrives?
Mine is about 1 inch below the hinge pins .
Here is something I found here, might tell you something, I realize it is a gasser . :level.jpg ,
lvl2.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Products - Diesel Distributors

if your static water line is that high, you may need to go higher with your risers. when I worked at Cummins, we used to carry various risers in stock for Carver and Cruisers because they would float the boat and half the time adjust for a higher static line.

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys,
Quick update, I have decided on replacing them with new ones as the price difference is only another $100 each plus they provide a 12 month warranty. I am away at the moment but will be back in 2 weeks and I hope to have the turbos here then :) Silly question, the cost of buying OEM's is almost half, quality?? To me they look exactly as the ones I got minus the green.

Will keep you all posted to see if this is it, I certainly hope so ha ha..

alldodge

Staff member

Sure do hope it works out, and thanks for keeping us informed

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

? ? ?

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys, had to stay away another week. The Brand new Turbos are arriving mid next week. It is funny as I got quoted $1480AUD for a full rebuild but a brand new OEM set set me back $1650AUD so I decided on the new set :)

Will keep you posted on the progress and until they arrive I will review any online instructions on swapping out the turbos. One thing I did pickup viewing some material was to manually put some oil in on the top of the turbo then spin it around before starting it. They also suggested to crank the engine around a couple of times before starting it.

Cheers all,

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all,
Just checking, I was going to put in a couple of ETG's to monitor the new turbos. According to the Volvo specs a TAMD41P at 3800 rpm should max out around 413?C (775.3?F) but when I check gauges for it they are all maxing out at 1200?C, mostly see to be for cars but anyway the specs from Volvo seem low or?

alldodge

Staff member

Sorry guys, had to stay away another week. The Brand new Turbos are arriving mid next week. It is funny as I got quoted $1480AUD for a full rebuild but a brand new OEM set set me back $1650AUD so I decided on the new set :)

Will keep you posted on the progress and until they arrive I will review any online instructions on swapping out the turbos. One thing I did pickup viewing some material was to manually put some oil in on the top of the turbo then spin it around before starting it. They also suggested to crank the engine around a couple of times before starting it.

Cheers all,

Putting oil in the bearings is a good idea. While your turbo's don't spin at the rate of cars, it is a good thing just like prefilling the oil filters so the run dry time is shortened.

Hi all,
Just checking, I was going to put in a couple of ETG's to monitor the new turbos. According to the Volvo specs a TAMD41P at 3800 rpm should max out around 413?C (775.3?F) but when I check gauges for it they are all maxing out at 1200?C, mostly see to be for cars but anyway the specs from Volvo seem low or?

Yes, my diesel truck can hit that high but yours shouldn't get there. Your probably going to be stuck with the higher gauge reading. Don't know if Volvo makes one with lower EGT temp range

Scott Danforth

Staff member

1200C is way too high for EGT, especially on a marine motor. are you sure it wasnt 1200F?

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you all know I have FINALLY received the new Turbos, wohoo, my goodness they look different, in a good way :) They are not painted at all so first thing tomorrow I will give them a cote of the green Volvo Penta stuff, anyone left them without painting them? I just have some concerns about the exhausts side.

Should get some time on the weekend to fit them, will keep you all posted. Attached a couple of pics of new vs old just so you can see the difference.

fetch
fetch

Cheers,

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your marine turbos should have a water cooled exhaust section. I would paint them. the compressor snails are aluminum. no need for paint, however I would.

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I am not sure what has happen here but page 6 is gone. On page 6 I told everyone that the boat is back, she is absolutely flying. In short it was the turbos but there was also an issue with the fungus in the fuel but it got resolved with using 15l of fuel doctor in 3 shock treatments.

Thanks again to all that has helped me on this post, especially K-2, AllDodge and Scott.

Cheers and happy boating :)

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all,
I am not sure what has happen here but page 6 is gone. On page 6 I told everyone that the boat is back, she is absolutely flying. In short it was the turbos but there was also an issue with the fungus in the fuel but it got resolved with using 15l of fuel doctor in 3 shock treatments.

Thanks again to all that has helped me on this post, especially K-2, AllDodge and Scott.

Cheers and happy boating :)

Your welcome, and there were a whole lot of post lost. Iboats is working on the issue and we are all looking forward to getting back to smooth sailing when their done

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Scarborough did anyone offer an opinion on why the turbos failed at low hours ?

Scarborough

Seaman Apprentice
Hi K-2,
No, not directly but I am guessing that the turbos are to close to the waterline. The exhaust pipe connecting to the leg only had about 15cm clearance from the water to the top of it where the rubber connects to the exhaust turbo elbow. The general make of this boat has shafts and the engines sit further forward than with legs so she sits a lot deaper than intended. To compound the issue these initially was using AD31's (that would have been really slow) but this one is with the AD41 so a lot heavier but faster :)

I am hoping to get another 3-4 years out of them before changing them again, still not bad :)

Cheers all.