Volvo D4 rebuild

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I found a supposedly rebuildable 2013 Volvo D4 locally. It evidently broke a ring and scored a cylinder. It was originally mated to an IPS drive. It sounds like I can get it for scrap value. Owner is repowering rather than rebuilding. I intend to find a bell housing and suitable transmission and put it in my project boat, a 79 Topaz 24. Questions:

1. Other than excessive heat or bad fuel, what causes ring failure?

2. If it is just one bad cylinder, what am I looking at to get it operational from a cost standpoint?

3. Is this a good idea or a really bad idea?

anything else I should be aware of? Not finding a lot about these engines on line.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
failed exhaust could cause water to run into the cylinder causing ring damage

depends on the damage, talk to your local diesel engine rebuild shop

you could part the motor out to make your money back if the cost of a rebuild is too high.

dsiekman

Thanks, Scott. I took a look today. Everything seems to be as advertised. Story was that the owner was underway and it started blowing smoke so he brought it back in. Motor was replaced by insurance. Shop kept the old motor and planned to use it as a trainer. Changed their mind and want it out of the way.

dsiekman

With this being a pretty technical motor with lots of computer controls, etc., is there any reason you can think of why I would not be able to convert to a full inboard? Just didn't know if the motor was in some way tuned or something for IPS.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
First thing I would look at is the turbo. Make sure it hasn’t let go and thrown bits of itself into the cylinders