Volvo Penta MD7A Starter

The Oatman

Recruit
My starter may be kaput. When I turn the key all I get is a high pitched whirring noise. I assume the solenoid is not extending the bendix. Volvo Penta USA WANTS $2,000 for a new starter!!! I see new OEM starters on E Bay for $300. The MD7A is a left handed prop spin (looking at the flywheel, it rotates clockwise). How do I make sure a new starter will turn the engine the right way?

tpenfield

Staff member
Which model engine do you have? Are you in the UK? There are some on eBay for even less than $300. Not sure what shipping would be though.

alldodge

Staff member
looking at the flywheel, it rotates clockwise

You have a right hand (RH) rotation motor. The rotation of the starter depends on where its mounted

Starter rotation.jpg

The Oatman

Recruit
TPenfield- My engine is the 13 HP MD7A. I live in USA. I was guessing at the prices I saw a couple of years back. My concerns are: 1. is the rotation compatible and 2. are the e-bay starters marinized .

AllDodge- I understand what you say. My engine has the clockwise rotation (making it a left handed prop spin). There is only one way to mount the starter though, the port side. I would assume that, mounted there, it would need a counter clockwise spin to turn the flywheel clockwise. In your graphic, does "CW" and "CCW" signify clockwise and anticlockwise? Are those indicated on the starters?

Thnx for the replies.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The LH and RH rotation is based from looking at the flywheel. The various starter location advises which rotation is needed to rotate the motor based on where the starter is located.

mount the starter though, the port side.

The starter mounted on the port side down low, and needing a RH motor rotation then you need a CCW starter

1st.jpg