V-P Exhaust Manifold Bolt Question

JonnyC

Recruit
Hi Bondo

thank you very much for this genial thread! I have a VP D3 160. Looking for an introduction how to remove the exhaust pipe I found this thread. With this tipp a could remove the exhaust manifold without removing the heat exchanger and the pipe. It`s good to know, that the workshop manual is written for built out engines and not for jobs done in the engine room. It`s a pity that such tipps cannot be found in the ws manual.

One question remains: Same way to reinstall the studs or are they screwed in with the normal bolts fastening the manifold again?

Kind regards
Jonny

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The new manifold will probably come with new bolts for the installation.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OMC and later Volvo used studs in some applications (my '88 OMC 4.3 had studs for the exhaust manifolds). When I replaced the old OMC one piece bat wings with the new Volvo center riser exhaust I used the bolts that came with the Barr exhaust system. I actually liked the studs and bolts because OMC used high quality studs and nuts that did not corrode so changing the manifolds on this was very easy. You do need more clearance to pull the manifolds out though. With the old bat wings and the stud in the cyl head arrangement, I had to spray silicone spray on the Y pipe and slide the lower exhaust rubber hoses down, then pull off the upper ones, then I could remove the exhaust manifolds easily. The studs also made it easy to install the gasket and just slide the manifold on.

With the bolts on the new system I got a longer bolt, cut off the head, and cut a slot in it for a screwdriver. Then screwed 2 of these in. Next slide the gasket on, then the manifold. Then installed all the rest of the bolts, and finally turned out the two headless bolts, and installed the last 2 regular bolts. Much easier that way.

Last edited:

JonnyC

Recruit

That's right. I didn't want to open a new thread I wanted to reply in the old thread. Sorry.
Lou C: As described in the old thread the exhaust manifold is blocked by the tube arm. At the VP D3 the exhaust manifold is also blocked by the heat exchanger. So if you want to remove the exhaust manifold without remove the studs by the double nut system you have first remove the heat exchanger. To do that you have to remove the tube-arm first. So reinstalling the exhaust manifold requires setting it in place and then screwing in the studs. You cannot screw in the studs first and then slide over the e. manifold. I think I will screw in the studs by using double nuts as well.

Jonny