Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B starter won't even crank

icordoba

Recruit
Hello,

I seem to have a big problem with my Volvo D1-20B (digital panel). Starter won’t crank. So far, engine has been starting ok but some months ago I started getting the warning beep and icon in the panel screen right after starting the engine. Probably this was a warning that something (starter, solenoid, …) was in fault, but the engine was starting as good as always (other than the warnings described of course).

Now, whatever that the problem was, probably ended up breaking for good, and now the starter won’t even crank.

Today I got a new battery to be sure that is was not related to it, but it didn’t fix it. Next weekend I will be checking the voltage in the solenoid as described in https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/troubleshooter-when-your-engine-wont-start

Any other ideas on what to test? but maybe someone has had a similar issue and can give me any better idea on what to do.

Ignacio

alldodge

Staff member
Your link is a good place to start. There is also troubleshooting tips in the Adults Only section at the top of this section. There is also a link in my sig to take you there. When you get some readings lets us know how it goes so we can assist

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hope you find the problem....
the light or warning on the dash after start up was likely a charge or low voltage warning...until the alternator starts charging. Quite common on salt of the earth diesels like this.
With regards to the non starting even after the new battery...the pessimist in me might suspect water Ingres to the bore and hydraulic locking. Hopefully not, but worth a check to rule it out.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Probably corroded wirin' connections in the startin' circuit,.....

Remove, sand to shiny metal clean, 'n reassemble All of 'em, startin' at the battery terminals,.....
'n do the other end of the battery ground(-) too,.....

dwco5051

Commander
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Probably corroded wirin' connections in the startin' circuit,.....

Remove, sand to shiny metal clean, 'n reassemble All of 'em, startin' at the battery terminals,.....
'n do the other end of the battery ground(-) too,.....

I think Bondo is giving you some good advice. That fault will light up for either undercharging or overcharging. A corroded connection can cause an overcharging situation.