Exhaust Temperature Alarm

mikekomm

Recruit
I'm about to install an exhaust temperature alarms on my Carver with twin Caterpillar 3208's. There are two popular products that I'm considering two different products. Borel Mfg. and Aqualarm. Both products use a band that clamps around the exhaust after the mixer. My question is this. The Borel alarm trips at 165F and the Aqualarm trips at 200F. Both of these cannot be correct for the application. If 165F is the correct temp for this application, then Aqualarms product at 200F will not trip early enough and engine damage may already be taking place. If the 200F setting on the Aqualarm product is the proper setting, the Borel 165F product will set off early false alarms. Can anyone shed some light on this?

alldodge

Staff member
While 165 is above the range of normal, at 200 it would not yet start to melt things. Guess the 200 one might have less of a chance of a false alarm, the 165 could sound off sooner. Other then that it comes down to quality manufacture.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
At the risk of pointing out the obvious...it also depends on your set up and where you fit the sensors.
The old man has twin VP TAMD61A lumps...these have exhaust temp sensors and alarm....but they remain fairly cool..not far.after the turbo on their way out the side exits...by the time the cooling water merges.