Tach code for TAMD73P

KalaKai

Recruit
I'm installing a new tach on one of my TAMD73P engines. The tach requires a code entry, but doesn't include my model on this list of codes. Any idea how to find out the correct code?

alldodge

Staff member
Who makes the Tach, and have a model or part number?

KalaKai

Recruit
VDO makes the tach for Volvo, part number 873998

They replaced many different tach with just one. Code and a diode harness are needed to run it. I have the harness, but the codes listed don't show a tamd73, though Volvo says this is the correct tach.

Volvo offer ZERO support on how to make it work.

alldodge

Staff member
As with all diesels the tach works off a Tach generator, the Alternator W terminal or inductive pick up. I'm sure you have seen the chart attached and it does not list your specific motor. So you need to first find out what is supplying the tach signal or the 3 listed.

If it is the alternator W terminal then need to find out the gear ratio and number of teeth in the ALT. The gear ratio is obtained by measuring the diameter of the crankshaft pulley and ALT pulley, then divided the crankshaft by the ALT.

To determine the number of teeth of the ALT would need to know that part number or gain access to the ALT gear inside.

You can also just connect the tach and take a guess at which code based on what method is driving it. Then get a hand held photo tach and read the rpms with motor running. Take the reading from the photo tach and compare with the new one.

If take is to high or low, look at the chart and change the code, repeat until successful (turning off motor between changes)

vdo.jpg

You can also contact VDO via email or phone call during business hours, but they may also need the same info about your motor to determine

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/contact-us/