Volvo Penta DPH-A Outdrive Trim Sensor Issue

Kelpster

Recruit
My recently rebuilt DPH-A outdrive's analog trim sensor is suddenly no longer displaying an accurate representation of the actual drive angle of the outdrive. It seems to be about 20 degrees off to the "plus" side. Meaning the analog indicator needle portrays a shallower drive angle than reality. Is there a way one can adjust the sensor, and if so, where is it located? Thank you so much- I'm a newbie to this forum.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's on the right pivot of the gimbal ring and it does indeed sound like it's out of adjustment.

Kelpster

Recruit
Chigwalla, thanks for that. Much appreciated. Can you, or anyone, direct me to a source that might walk me through the steps to make the adjustment myself? If it's a purely analog-type electronic adjustment using a multimeter, for example, I'm equipped to take this on.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Easy peasy - it's an analog signal that's converted inside the PCM.
You should have a three-wire sensor...which is just a potentiometer. One of the leads is a 5V reference voltage, one is a ground and the center/wiper lead is the return signal back to the PCM. That way, it senses trim position as a variable voltage depending on where the wiper lead is in its sweep.

Set it so that you read 11 ohms (+/-2) between the power and signal wires and install on drive (trimmed full down/in). After that, you can fine-tune it with the screw slots. The toughest part is physically pulling the old one out and running the new one. You will need to take apart the weatherpak connector inside the boat so you're pulling just the wires through the transom assembly.

rogerdb3

Cadet
The dph drive trim and tilt should be hooked up to your Volvo Penta EVC system. The sensor is inside the boat on the gimball housing. It does not have any wires going through the gimball housing. You need to program it and it should read correctly. It should go down to about -5 and up to about +45. Don't forget it needs to be accurate for checking your oil at +45.

tommarvin

Ensign
If it worked before the rebuild,it sounds like it did not go back together the same.