Removing my Volvo Penta diesel

I have twin Volvo penta diesels and the starboard engine has problems so I am going to remove it. The boat is still in it's mooring stall and there is a crane 100 yards from where I tie up to extract the engine. I've done lots of work to these engines but never extracted one. Anyone have any knowledge of the process it will take? Thank you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Click Forum Help in my sig and look at the photo tutorial. You need to make one more post and #4 can have pics attached.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have a pure inboard, you can remove the motor without taking the boat out of the water. if you have an I/O, it has to be on the hard

The boat is a 70's model fiberform. It originally had 454 gasoline engines. Was upgraded to Volvo Penta Diesel's. The starboard engine turns over real slow and will not start. Tried replacing the starter and that did not work. Same problem exists?

Spoke to a local mechanic here in Ketchikan Alaska and he said if I remove the engine while the boat is in the water once the exhaust y disengages she could go to the bottom? I'm beginning to think we are going to have to put her on land to properly complete this project?

Gonna pull the boat in the spring to pull the engine! Thanks for the advice. I will repost when we figure out the problem? Having new battery cables made!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The boat is a 70's model fiberform. It originally had 454 gasoline engines. Was upgraded to Volvo Penta Diesel's. The starboard engine turns over real slow and will not start. Tried replacing the starter and that did not work. Same problem exists?

Are you pulling the motor just because it's cranking slow, or is there other issues?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like an over hasty decision, just because she is cranking slow ? Have I missed a post about a diagnosis ? Reading on my phone. Not great.

tommarvin

Ensign
What are the problems with your motor.
We would only remove the motor if its blown up?