Volvo Penta KAD44P-A - will she still get up and go with a bad Kompressor?

ColinP25

Cadet
Hi all,

My query is referring to the Volvo Penta KAD44P-A.

Does anyone know if this engine actually needs the boost generated by its Kompressor (supercharger) to help spool the turbo as the revs increase?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I had a bad Kompressor or the Kompressor belt failed etc would this engines turbo spool and boost to the max revs (3700 - 3900) or does it need assistance from the Kompressor in order to start the spooling process?

I would imagine the turbo would still spool and boost without the pressure created by the Kompressor even though it may take longer to do so.

Could someone who knows mind clarifying this for me?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• photo275443.jpg
    photo275443.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275444.jpg
    photo275444.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Not an expert on this motor but any Kompressor (Supercharger) is an air pump. Thinking its like the TAMD versions which uses both the turbo and Kom to provide air in separate feeds. Without the Kom it will run but the power will be in the dirt and I doubt it will bring the boat up on plane, it needs more air to burn more fuel. The motors computer allows more fuel to be supplied as air pressure increases, so no more air, less fuel. If it was allowed to add more fuel, you would see large amounts of black smoke

What brings up your question?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need both the supercharger and turbo. Tge supercharger is used at low speeds until the turbo spools up for the top end.

So to get up on plane, yes, you need the supercharger

ColinP25

Cadet
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure we had a KAD43 (non EDC) which engaged the Kompressor when we were trying to cruise off the plane which was really annoying and quite noisy! From memory (I was quite young) we just took the belt off the Kompressor which allowed us to cruise in peace and quiet without the thing constantly trying to boost whilst we were motoring along.

We never put the belt back on and the boat still planed albeit a bit slower. Any thought on this? I assumed the KAD44 would be the same?

Put the throttle down, more air, more fuel, more revs, turbo spools up and off you go?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the problem is if you dont have the boost on low end, you over fuel and run the risk of burning up the exhaust manifold as EGT's go thru the roof.

if your whole desire is to quiet the engines down, invest in sound dampening for the engine compartment. i suggest http://www.soundown.com/index_Marine.htm

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It will be smokey as without the supercharged...but if the boat is light enough to gain the revs required for the turbo to spool...it should get going.
Normally The supercharger should disengage once the turbo is spooled up.
I wouldn't recommend running like this, you will soot and carbon up the engine due to the over fuelling.
There is plenty of info on the uk YBM forums. Really popular engines over here. As are the Kad32's. Usually the clutch or belt is to blame.