Trim D6 changing on instrument

nickenl

Cadet
The trim is indicated To change value, My trim sensor indicator is changing numbers when I start the engine after being shut down. So I calibrate the evc so as the range goes from -5 to app 45. The first time I use it after calibration everything is correct. The following day when I start it -5 will now be -2 but the leg will not have moved. It is continuing like This. And it slowly sneaks up until I do a recalibration.

If somebody have any idea i would be greatfull

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you sure the drive hasnt moved? Verify with measurement.
If that is the case, check your connections. Something is loose or corroded

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

None of the trim senders last very long, only ones that do are the mechanical ones. The sender is in the water all the time and over time they start messing up. The good thing is the sender effects nothing but the reading. The real bear is replacing it is the issue.

nickenl

Cadet
Are you sure the drive hasnt moved? Verify with measurement.
If that is the case, check your connections. Something is loose or corroded

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

It is not moving because it is the fully trimed in position that is moving in the direction from -5 to 0.

I heve cleaned all the connectors and realigned the sender in accordance to the service manual.

I see now two possibilities, either it is the sender that are placed on the inside of the transom ( Local Penta and guys in gothenburg does not belive so) or the problem is that the EVC is losing or shifting its memory somehow.

I have seen another post onthis forum with the exact same problem but it is unanswered and the solution is not presented so i am tryint here again.

I take all suggestions and ieas with great interest.

BRG

nickenl

Cadet
Howdy

None of the trim senders last very long, only ones that do are the mechanical ones. The sender is in the water all the time and over time they start messing up. The good thing is the sender effects nothing but the reading. The real bear is replacing it is the issue.

Thank ou for the answer,

But in this case on a VP DPH B the sender is on the inside of the transom and the Penta Guys does not belive this is the problem.

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest searching your issue, I found a few threads on the hull truth which had similar if not same issue. Not a VP expert by any means.

So far as VP guys, if they are not certified VP guys I would take it with a grain of salt. There have been many VP shops which were not able to fix many problems and after the owners paid out a lot of money and much time passes, the issue was found by a certified VP shop. There are several threads on the Formula forum. Not saying your guys are not good, but they should be able to tell you what the problem is IF they know their stuff

nickenl

Cadet
Hi Again,

Just a little report on where i am in this topic.

As i wrote previously i have cleaned all the connections and also taken away the sender, turned it from full left to right 100 times just to make the self clean function in the sender a chance. Put everything together according to the service manual and it looks like an improvment. First day it was showing -5 when fully trimed in the seccond and third day it showed -4 and sometimes -5.

So all in all it looks like an improvment. I will try next weekend again and se the status but maybe it has been wandering due to bad connections or just that i had to excercise the sender it self.

This even tyough all connections looked perfect ant it was no wisible corrosion or moisture in them, also the sender showed correct resistance due to the bosh data sheet.

Time will tell but if someone actually has had the exat same problem it would be nice to know how you solved this issue.

alldodge

Staff member
From your post I would say you have found the problem, you moved it many times and the first day it did fine, the next it did but also drifted off by one. The issue in inside the sender. Just my guess from what I'm reading

nickenl

Cadet
Yeah i think so to, i will give it a couple of weeks to see the result however before ordering a new part. but probably the sender.

I had a discussion with my Penta shop today which is certified penta and he told me that there are at least two software upgrades avilable on my motor and this could also possible affect this problem due to that they sometimes are changing tolerances in the software for different sensors and senders.

This one in particular could be included due to very small movements (angles that are measured) due to its location on the axel of the hydralic piston, less then 10 degrees on the full trim cycle.

I will check this anyhow for some weeks and do the updates later to get the latest version.

rogerdb3

Cadet
I found the solution for the trim indicator changing on its own. On the port side trim cylinder there is a set screw that you access from the under the outdrive. If it is not tightened correctly the sensor will spin on its own and you will get incorrect readings regularly. The screw has to be very tight.

I had a less then reputable shop do some insurance work for me after hitting a deadhead and the failed to tighten this screw along with numerous other things.

nickenl

Cadet
I found the solution for the trim indicator changing on its own. On the port side trim cylinder there is a set screw that you access from the under the outdrive. If it is not tightened correctly the sensor will spin on its own and you will get incorrect readings regularly. The screw has to be very tight.

I had a less then reputable shop do some insurance work for me after hitting a deadhead and the failed to tighten this screw along with numerous other things.

Hi Roger, thankyou f?r the answer. Interesting, my penta guy told me This could be the problem as well so i jumped into the water and searched f?r This Screw but could not find it. So therfore i proceeded with all the other advices i have got.

I need To find it now and check cause it is probably the root for my problem as well.

Do ou know the exakt position

rogerdb3

Cadet
The screw is on the pin boss of the port side trim cylinder where it attaches to your transom housing. If I remember correctly it is an Allen wrench head. I had my leg off changing bellows and checking u-joints when I had access to it. You may be able to access it if you lift the leg all of the way up and have small hands. It has to be very tight ( not sure of torque) or the pin can still rotate that the sensor is attached to and you get faulty readings.

Sensor seldom goes on the DPH leg because it is inside just below your oil cooler.