Westerbeke instrument panel getting hot

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I just bought a sailboat that has a TwoB 20 westerbeke. It runs fine but while I was poking around I noticed that the instruments are getting very warm. Too hot to touch.

Ideas ? Should I run a new ground wire ?

Thanks in advance

Jon

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to find a TwoB 20 or B 20 with a quick search.

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry about that. It is a 20B two. The instrument panel is grounded through harness that plugs into the motor. There is one ground wire what comes in and then jumps from instrument to instrument.

Jon

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I guess the panel is remotely mounted, so it isn't engine heat.

What gauges are in the panel? Can you tell if a single gauge is hotter?

About the only one that has a lot of electrical power through it is an ammeter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im guessing the contacts on the back of the ammeter are dirty

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Thanks for the responses !!! It is a very basic gauge set, and is remote, so it is not engine heat.

Oil pressure
Temperature
Tach
Ammeter

As an aside, I was assuming the ammeter wasnt working because it is pegged over to the right. I have measured the output with the engine running and it is 14.4V

jon

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the ammeter measures amperage.

a volt meter measures voltage

full output of the alternator is going thru the ammeter. if its pegged and getting hot, the contacts are dirty.... PERIOD. clean the contacts so they are nice and shiny enough to eat off them, then seal the connections with marine electrical varnish.

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
Will Do ! Can I confirm that as the issue by just disconnecting the gauge ?

jon

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No, full current runs thru the ammeter - its part of the circuit. you can shunt it, however at that point, why not clean the corroded connections up.

GA_Boater

One more thing to check if cleaning the ammeter connections doesn't help is to check where the ammeter load is connected. One connection is the feed from the alternator, the other is the load which feeds the electrical system. The load connection(s) may need cleaning as well.

And the ammeter could be bad.

All I can find is operator manuals with voltmeters. Do you have any manuals for your Westerbeke with an ammeter?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking with the amp meter pegged, its the amp meter that is shorting out. Either that or the battery is. This is from the manual
20B Two.jpg

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
All,

I have to claim ignorance........... No ammeter, just a volt meter.

Ideas?

Jon

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
I Went down to the boat this morning to make sure I have my story straight. Here is what i observed:

1. Turn Key ON - Voltmeter reads ~ 13.2
2. Start Engine - Voltmeter immediately buries the needle to the right.

As an aside, I check the voltage on a plug at the mast with the engine running a week or so ago, and it was 14.4V so I don't think the system is over charging.

thanks

jon

GA_Boater

One strike, Jon. LOL

Turning the key on is reading battery voltage and after starting, the charging voltage is being read.

I would check the water/electrolyte in the battery and the clean the battery post and connectors. If the alternator has an internal regulator, it may be bad. You could remove the alternator and take it to an auto parts store for testing.

If your manual doesn't have the same information, I found this online from Westerbeke and alternator test/troubleshooting starts on page 25 with schematics a few pages later. https://www.westerbeke.com/operator's manual/20b two-30b-30c three operators manual 36906 rev 5.pdf

alldodge

Staff member
An ALT with a blown diode can produce more then 14V and can start blowing things. Grandson blew his ALT (long story) and then it started blowing every light bulb in the car. Finally shorted the computer out and was DOA for G-Dad to fix

JonRiley56

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the voltage meter and all seems to be working. The meter reads between 14 and 15 now.

Thanks for all the help