Volvo D3-160 2005 going into limp mode unexpected up or down on throttle

Chartman

Recruit
Moving through a no wake zone slowly increasing throttle all is well until 2000 to 2500 rpms loose power into limp can also happen going up again slowly when I reach 3500 to 3700 again limp mode, always sounds alarm shows fault and sometimes fault fuel. Shut off engine and with key off I can move throttle up and alarm will start up again move it down and alarm stops. Shut off battery then back on start engine give alarm briefly but then runs fine until the next time. Today it was an hour later sometime never but never means when we return to port. Thanks for any help. P.S. Even the Volvo certified mechanic at $105. Per hour are lost.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

What test did the Volvo tech perform?

BTW, there have been many so called "certified VP Mechanics" that are not VP certified, they are only self certified

Chartman

Recruit
He brought his command diagnostic piece of equipment. First time out on sea trial his computer was dead. Second try, it was slow booting. Could not wait - had to restart engine. Third try slow reboot but claimed he got some codes. He was going to return to the office and consult others. That was a week ago. I still don't know anymore or any less than I did a week ago. Hope you can help. I did unplug one connector on the electrical box, cleaned and replaced and also disconnected the actuator switch on top of the electrical box. Cleaned and replaced. No change. Thanks for responding. Gives me hope.

alldodge

Staff member
As with most the new motors, we need to know what the codes are to figure it out. I would be sorry to say that with the issues your running into with the mechanic is, I would not call him back. There is a Gal on the Formula forum which went thru 3 different certified VP techs and her diesels until she found one which actually knew what they were doing. She called VP directly and asked for someone to help.

The previous person replaced all kinds of parts, and some which did not fit her motor, to only later find out she was taken to the cleaners. We tried to help, but from the distance we can only do so much.

Since the guy has been there three times and have yet to provide anything of help, I would say do not invite him back. I would suggest calling 800.522.1959.and talk to someone which can get you in contact with a local VP certified tech, or if not local, the closest dealer which is certified.

My first thought is a fuel supply issue and would ask when was the last time the fuel filters were changed, also air filters checked? The fuel supply pressure, air filtration can be an issue. Could also be EGT (exhaust gas temps) getting to high or just a simple bad sensor

What part of the country are you in. If in FL I can look up the last gal's person

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I found the thread where Divergirl was having issues, but only mentioned the place was which only made things worst. Sent her a message and a link to this thread, so she can advise or tell me and I'll pass it on.

alldodge

Staff member
Hey Divergirl replied on the Formula forum, says she uses a place called Onsite Services and tech's name is Ed Mills: 561-662-7836

Says he is 100 an hour, shows up on time and knows his stuff