Yanmar 4BY2 Survey

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've put a deposit on a Ranger Tug powered by a 180 hp Yanmar 4BY2. The owner is well-known in the Ranger Tug community for meticulous care of his vessel. None-the-less, I would like to have a technician evaluate the engine. It is five years-old and has about 925 hours. An oil sample is being analyzed now. What items should be checked in the evaluation?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That's a 185 hours a year or so. Sounds like he used it a fair amount, I wish I could get out more often. If it was maintained properly, that is not to bad. When checking the engine, the tech should be checking compression for starters. A general look for leaks and worn rubber components. The oil sample will tell you if it has excess coolant in the oil, a whole bunch of other chemicals that should say " normal" range or "excessive" .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does the Ranger have a gen-set? One more oil analysis for you if so.

You might look at or join the Tugnuts (?) forum from the Ranger website. You mentioned the community, so you may be lurking there. :smile: The factory answers questions in the forum and are very involved with their owners.

I have no Ranger or marine diesel experience, but I've crawled all over a few models at boat shows. Bucket List!

We need to see pics after the paperwork is wrapped up. :joyous:

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It does have a generator. Good idea for analyzing its oil, too.

I'm already a "Tugnut".