Volvo Penta KAMD 44 EDC not revving up in Forward, Help!!

clj

Cadet
I have a single Volvo Penta KAMD 44 EDC. It is hooked via a jackshaft to a Volvo DP-E drive. It has dual stations. These engines are all fly by wire.

The engine will start and if I press the N button and give it full throttle it will rev up to 2,000 RPM which seems normal. If I put it in reverse and tilt the drive up a bit, the engine will rev up to around 3,000 RPM. If I put it in forward, and give it full throttle it will not rev up higher then about 600 RPM. It seems to shift OK, the tilt gauge seems to work OK.

Boost from the supercharger is right around 7 PSI which seems normal. No unusual sounds, air leaks or fuel leaks that I can detect. It is not revving up high enough for the turbocharger to kick in.

I had the turbocharger rebuilt (the shop that did it said that the old turbo looked fine) and I replaced the lift pump. No change in performance.

Any clues, suggestions, hints on what I should be trying would be appreciated.

Thanks

rbh

Fleet Admiral
is there any kind of lock out switch for the upper to lower control stations?
---- a wire is off or a fuse is blown perhaps a relay??-----

Time to get out the wiring diagram and do some testing

clj

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. This is an update.

We have a storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment and I was worried that the boat would float off my davits. So, late yesterday afternoon I took it over to the local marina by water. They have floating docks that can handle about a 10' surge. The engine fired right up and it ran perfect; she jumped right up on plane and spun out to max rpm. I had done zero to it as far as trying to fix it. So, no clue how it healed itself.

There are no diagnostic codes and there were no diagnostic codes.

There is a Y cable that connects the upper and lower stations to the engine computer. I had removed that previously so that the lower station was fully isolated and it made no difference, so, I put it back on. You push a button on the upper or lower station to indicate which station is in use. A small LED lights up to indicate which station is active.

Once this storm passes I am going to start to go through all the wiring connections and see what I can find.