New steering does not connect to my motor

HypnoCraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am running into a slight problem with my motor. I bought a cable steering kit from UFlex and I went to look how it would attach to my 1970's evinrude... There is no tilt tube, only a tilt bolt. I have seen people put in tilt tubes after the fact but I am not sure mine allows it. What is the best way to rig up cable steering for this motor? Should I get a tube clamp that mounts on the transom? Or what other options do I have?

20200731_091948.jpg20200731_091939.jpg20200731_091953.jpg20200731_092000.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1976 40 HP Johnson that doesn't have the tilt tube either. So I bought a tilt tube that mounts under the engine bracket in the boat. And that gives me the steering capability and tilting capability as if it was a tilt tube engine. Easy to rig up and takes most any steering cable setup too. Look into one...

HypnoCraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1976 40 HP Johnson that doesn't have the tilt tube either. So I bought a tilt tube that mounts under the engine bracket in the boat. And that gives me the steering capability and tilting capability as if it was a tilt tube engine. Easy to rig up and takes most any steering cable setup too. Look into one...

Thanks! Is there a name to that part? I am having a hard time finding one that mounts below the engine bracket. All I can find are the ones that go off to the side.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks! Is there a name to that part? I am having a hard time finding one that mounts below the engine bracket. All I can find are the ones that go off to the side.

Sorry I didn't post the adapter setup. I have a stick steering setup so I had to but a new stick steering kit AND their tilt tube adapter kit. The company is EZGLIDE. And the tilt tube fits at the engine to allow a steering cable to enter from either side. I posted the picture of that kit and then you can use/replace the steering cable you want. Just go to their website to see how to measure for the steering cable length.

Hope this helps and explains how it works with your engine...

Attachments

• engine-connection-kit.jpg
    engine-connection-kit.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5