2002 searay sun deck need help please

Onepronto

Recruit
Hello all need help troubleshooting and what to look for I have a sun deck by searay 2002 bravo 3 sterndrive. The boat turns right fine but won’t turn left. I got under it in the water and The drive turns but there is 8 inches of play when I wiggled the actual drive. The cables look in good condition can anyone give me any good before I get charged an arm and a leg

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy
Your saying it does not turn left at all, or only from center right and back to center?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you are sure it is cable steering (vs hydraulic), then it sounds like the cable is broken or the helm is stripped or perhaps the key that locks the steering wheel to the helm is broken.

If it is hydraulic steering, it could be low on fluid, or have a seal issue.

alldodge

Staff member
Not knowing if this is a Merc, VP, OMC or other, or year. It probably is the cable, but disconnect it and see if the drive moves both ways. If it moves ok, then need to get into the steering and cable

Onepronto

Recruit
2002 searay sun deck Merc engine The steering wheel turns left but not the boat turning right is fine some one told me it could be a worn gimble could it do that only affect the left steering?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Check the steering linkages inside the transom,.....

Sounds like a cable or helm problem,.....