OMC/Johnson/Evinrude controls reassembly

mckinney004

Seaman Apprentice
I've searched the forums here and elsewhere, but can't find anything helpful.

I bought a mid-late 80s Johnson 90 hp that came with controls but no keys. I took it apart and replaced the ignition. Now that it's back together, I realized I'm having issues getting the controls to work. I've disassembled and reassembled multiple times. Often, it works smoothly for several cycles, then something goes wrong, and I'm stuck in neutral. With the controls separated, I seem to always be able to operate the lever (shift linkage only). So the problem appears to be related to the throttle side. I don't have signal at my house, but will get pics and post tomorrow. Any suggestions between now and then are welcome.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Watch the disassembly and re-assembly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GdwiRQxEtE

From what you are saying, I'm inclined to suspect an issue where the fast idle throttle is not landing within the window to allow shifting if you have the self-contained shift control box and not the control box that mounts flush behind a side panel.

Have you attempted to test that issue while adding some type of pre-load on the throttle cable to add a small amount of tension when the control arm is at neutral and the fast idle arm is fully down?

If it is assembled correctly, the controller design is purposely made to prevent shifting before the throttle is returned back to its lowest point on the control box.

If you have the self-contained control box, check the fast idle lever linkage and verify nothing is binding or excessive play/slop on the shifter arm.

I'm curious if the problem goes away if you temporarily remove the plastic link in the video that ties the fast idle lever to the throttle cable linkage.

mckinney004

Seaman Apprentice
Watch the disassembly and re-assembly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GdwiRQxEtE

From what you are saying, I'm inclined to suspect an issue where the fast idle throttle is not landing within the window to allow shifting if you have the self-contained shift control box and not the control box that mounts flush behind a side panel.

Have you attempted to test that issue while adding some type of pre-load on the throttle cable to add a small amount of tension when the control arm is at neutral and the fast idle arm is fully down?

If it is assembled correctly, the controller design is purposely made to prevent shifting before the throttle is returned back to its lowest point on the control box.

If you have the self-contained control box, check the fast idle lever linkage and verify nothing is binding or excessive play/slop on the shifter arm.

I'm curious if the problem goes away if you temporarily remove the plastic link in the video that ties the fast idle lever to the throttle cable linkage.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't get a chance to take pics last night, but I'll look into what you're saying. This is a self contained box, not the kind that goes behind the side panel. I will definitely look into the fast idle lever linkage. Thanks again!

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
This dosen't help...in any way...at all
just gotta say
Been there, doing that
Dr Youtube is a great help

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the tip. I didn't get a chance to take pics last night, but I'll look into what you're saying. This is a self contained box, not the kind that goes behind the side panel. I will definitely look into the fast idle lever linkage. Thanks again!

Just to clarify what that plastic part is, it is the shift lockout lever to prevent shifting while the fast idle lever is raised so you do not damage your lower unit accidentally.

You don't want to leave that part disconnected while running your boat motor.

If the shifting mechanism and the neutral lockout detent is working correctly 100% in all tests with that part removed, that isolates the issue to the fast idle linkage or a part directly connected to this linkage.