Teleflex Life Span.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My cousing has changed 4 Telefex Steering Cables in the past 5 years, with time and low hour use the internals becomes stiff and the wheel turning uncomfy hard to steer. Would you say that's due to a low hour use along variable temp in a patio through the year ? If installing a new cable with added cable loop will it hold longer ?

What's the usual life expectacy of such cables if any ? Is it possible to remove the cable drill some small diam holes on it and grease it well with whatever method your creativity can contribute to that noble cause.

My cousin was thinking to install an Hydraulic Steering System, cost is not an issue, peace of mind is all about. Which brand system would you guys recommend to look for. Pros and Cons . It's for a 4.50 Mtr boat powered with an E-Tec 60 HP motor for salt water use.

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Cables should last 20 years.

Do you clean and regrease the cable end (at the motor), at least every year? If so, it sounds like you have installed the cable incorrectly. Tight bends are hard on the cable. I also had one chafe thru the plastic and allow water into the inner cable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Cables should last 20 years.
I agree. The cable on my boat are OE, 1997.

Issues with hydraulic systems (o-ring leakage) are common in cold weather. Don’t know if or how the issue was ever resolved.

If auto pilot wasn’t on my wish list, I would certainly stay with cable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they last about 20 years, or a few months after getting water in the sheath (submersion)

harringtondav

Commander
I replaced my original Teleflex rack and pinion cable after about 14 yrs due to very stiff steering. ....thinking I put up with it for a few years prior. Merc Alpha II. I don't know why it failed since it was out of the weather vs. an O/B. The steering wheel would freewheel fine if the cable was disconnected at the tiller, but bound up connected.

Merc 'new style' PS uses the push-pull reaction on the cable's sheath to shuttle the PS valve. Apparently my old cable had enough internal drag to interfere with the valve's operation. After I installed the new cable I was back to single finger steering. Both Merc and Teleflex warn to not lube this style cable. New cables don't have the grease zerk.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My cousin is the fill the tank up and go boating type guy, the wheel, gear and throttle cables went that way too, that's no maintenance at cable's ends on all 3. Same goes for flushing afterwords. When the forced quarantine ends hopefully at the end of March will disconnect the cable from the motor's end and check if turns freely by hand, if so there's a steering restriction on the wheel or in the stering cable itself. Thanks all...

Happy Boating

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Three 1985 bowriders. Original cables. The only one I ever replaced was when I had an older 70's something tri hull. That one was a two man job to steer until I replaced the cable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My cousin is the fill the tank up and go boating type guy, the wheel, gear and throttle cables went that way too, that's no maintenance at cable's ends on all 3.
There is nothing to maintain on either end of the steering cable.

More than likely the issue is where the tiller arm passes through the tilt tube. Pretty common problem on outboards

Had problems off and on with mine stiffening up until I installed a “Steering guard”. Took maintenance intervals (clean and relube) from once a year to changing an o-ring once every five years.

https://steersman.com/html/whatitdoes.html

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will check the tilt tube condition when possible, thanks for the link.

Happy Boating