Keep hitting the key

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I have a small center console fishing boat, the key to start it is on the front of the console, when I pass by my hip hits it and bends the key, does someone make a collar that protects the key from impacts like that? I've looked all over the web but can't seem to find anything, I don't want to have to relocate the key, any ideas or web links will be greatly appreciated

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Can’t think of how you would protect the key protruding out of the switch without compromising your hip. Moving the switch is your best defense

alldodge

Staff member
Build a 3 sided box or round PVC casing with a slot. Post a pic

Maybe SCH 80 PVC

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I know a guy that cuts the key off on purpose, sticks it in the ignition, but it don't look like its there. Uses the stub or a coin to start it. At least he never forgets the key at home....

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I have thought of that and maybe I could make the key where it pulls out with the engine running ,..No.... I better not do that, because I remember the time my dog fell off the bow and went straight under the boat, I had to stop the engine quick, in less than a second before she got to the prop, I was going pretty fast down the river and my dog was standing up front on the casting deck (Carolina Skiff 1965 semi-v) when I slowed down she went over and came out the stern end and popped up like a cork paddling full speed,the engine was off when she got to it -no harm done, but thanks for offering ideas

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take a 2-1/2" PVC pipe cap, drill a 5/8 or 3/4 hole in the end, and mount it up-side down like a cup around the key switch bezel.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds good, going to the hardware store asap (may dig through garage first)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
measure your key switch before you drill the hole.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Use a guard/collar like the ones used on industrial equipment start buttons, or E-STOP buttons to prevent accidental activation.

3444_hw9z-kg1-.jpg

Z1p6ovkcpEx_.jpg